Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

Fathead E.P. Sculpin

Good Day,

So I have been working onthis pattern to possibly submit to a tying competition... It is still in the developmental stage and may need a bit more of a "hair cut". It is an extended body tail that will flex and mostly E.P. fibers for the rest. Eyes will be added. Opinions?

post-295-1168845000_thumb.jpg

post-295-1168845087_thumb.jpg

Steelie

steelie....I think I love this sculpin pattern....the color scheme is what really makes me wanna pick it up and examine it....to me it's a great attention getter (both human and fish ;)

the addition of eyes will make a huge difference

excuse my stupidity, but what are E.P. Fibers??

Looks like there may be some Lloyd Gonzales influence in these also.

My opinion....great stuff....I wouldn't change anything

Good Day,

Thanks Guys! John - I can the similarities in shape... E.P. Fibers = Enrico Puglisi Fibers.

A little more trimming this afternoon and some eyes and then more pics...

Steelie

Cool flies Steelie :headbang: Are you stacking the EP fibers or can you spin them? Just curious since I haven't tried either. Also, where'd you get the water?

Good Day,

I have tried both Alex. Both work well, but tend to get a better result with stacking and then don't have to go back to pick out fibers.

Steelie

I use sculpin patterns a lot when I fish river mouths and those sculpins look highly fishable. Good job!

Ernie

Good Day,

After a bit more fooling around, I think I have them the way I want them. I think I might like the one in the third photo the best and therefore may be sending it into a compettition... not this one here, sorry, came up with the concept yesterday. Each fly is just a little different from the others.

post-295-1168896403_thumb.jpg

post-295-1168896483_thumb.jpg

post-295-1168896608_thumb.jpg

Steelie

Good Day,

Yes cheech, hook point up. And thanks for the compliment! Now, what about an E.P. mouse? Hmmmmm, oh crap! :P Now I guess I will have to play with that next!

Steelie

Good Day,

After a bit more fooling around, I think I have them the way I want them. I think I might like the one in the third photo the best and therefore may be sending it into a compettition... not this one here, sorry, came up with the concept yesterday. Each fly is just a little different from the others.

post-295-1168896403_thumb.jpg

post-295-1168896483_thumb.jpg

post-295-1168896608_thumb.jpg

Steelie

I thought the were great in the first post, but these are awesome!! :yahoo:

Awesome flies, Steelie! :thumbup:

I think these would make a killer imitations of a gobi (invasive species in Lake Erie) or a madtom sculpins. I think I would tye them heavily weighted (i.e. - using both heavy lead eyes and some .030" lead wrapped along the shank) to bounce the fly along the bottom. It might be interesting to tye in four strands of dark brown rubber legging material out the front of the fly to imitate whiskers on a madtom.

I love the back section of your fly. The length of the fly can easily be adjusted to match the local fish population.

Overall, I think you've got a great pattern in the works here.

I would love to see you tye one of these or see a step-by-step once you finish playing with the pattern.