Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mickey

Tying Zonkers

I have been at the bench more as icefishing is winding down here. I am tying some early spring streamers and have attempted tying zonkers.

I can get the pattern great but I am having one small problem. Ok, its a big problem.

When you tie down the back section of the fly, my books say to make some half hitches and tie down before you start the front. How in the heck do you get the half hitch over ALL the material (bunny strip and mylar) to complete the half hitch. The first one I tied was great but cannot duplicate now for some reason... dunno.gif I just cant get the half hitch on the back of the fly.

thanks fellas!!

Hi Mike,

I use two bobbins, and tie the front down first. Clip the thread after the front is secure and the "head" is made, tie down the rear, half hitch by hand over the entire fly (I stand the rabbit fur up a bit), then clip the tail.

Mike

Mickey,

You'll probably get a bunch of different answers for this one, all of them good. So its going to come down to what you prefer or like best.

I don't use any half hitches at all when I tie my zonkers or any flies for that matter. Only when finishing the head.

If you use thread to attach the rabbit strip to the hook shank, try and make sure that the thread isn't exposed to toothy predators by covering the thread with a bit of dubbing to match the body or contrast the body. You can also place 1 or 2 wraps of wire, that will be used for the ribbing, at the rear covering the exposed thread, then continue to rib the fly.

Another option would be to not use any thread at all to attach the zonker strip to the hook shank. Instead, use only the wire ribbing to attach and hold the zonker strip to the hook shank.

I hope this helps you out.

Good Luck,

Fish-N-Chip

Mickey,

Here is another way to do it.

Wet the zonker fur and angle it forward from the point where its tied down near the bend of the hook all the way to the eye of the fly. Leave the extended portion angled backwards. This will give you easy access to the section where the thread is wrapped. Then with your hand create a large, loose half hitch knot and guide it over the body of the fly. One you get directly above the thread, pull on the bobbin and the knot will tighten in place. You can use your hand while tightening to make sure the knot doesn't go out of place.

Let me know how it works out. Good luck!

I don't tie the rear prtion for Zonkers I'm going to fish. I tie them upside down and impale the rabbit strip on the hook. It might not be as pretty as some, but it works fine and saves effort. Another little tip I've found helps, when you are using pearl body sheathing, make an underbody of red (or in a pinch, pink) yarn. It's like the minnow is flushing with blood under the skin. You'll see this with spawning males of many species, and obviously any very excited minnow of either sex. In addition, the reversed hook puts the majority of tooth rubbing against the fur instead of the body. At least, until he chomps down!

post-2-1078166305.jpg

Very cool. Great ideas!! Why didnt I think of that? dunno.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif

Im going to go and try them all right now. smile.gif Ill let ya know how they turn out!

Mickey,

I got a bit mixed up with my patterns yesterday. I was thinking of a rabbit strip matuka. You could tie the zonker the same way as the matuka, but the wire ribbing would crush the tubing. It wouldn't be smooth like a traditional zonker.

Just another variation for your arsenal of flies.

Good Luck,

Fish-N-Chip

I'm with LBG. I stick the hook through the strip. I also prepare the bodies in advance

w/o the rabbit strip so I can melt, whip finish and epoxy both ends of the body.

Ok. So, I printed out your responses and tried them in order. Tried the zap-a-gap method and it worked great. In no time, I was cranking out the zonkers! They look sweet!

After that, it was too easy and the flies were turning out great...so, I stuck with it. Thanks again everyone for the help!

its hard to type with my fingers stuck together with super glue....anyone know how to unglue your fingers? dunno.gif wallbash.gif

acetone, I once had a entire bottle of zap a gap explode on my hand. Tried to open my hand as soon as I realized what happened. Had to soak my hand for 4 hours in acetone to get my fingers apart.

John

luvinbluegills,

What kind of feather are you using there for the hackle on your zonkers? I think that creates a cool effect.

I am tying them with the red throat and some hackle but my feathers are not big enough. I like the fluffy feathers you are using there in your pics.

Also, are the big heads (with the eyes) just wrapped thread?

Thanks!!

mickey,

I use grizzly marabou for the hackle. You know the small marabou feathers that come in a pack? Those. They probably have a specific name but my packs just say grizzly marabou. There is a red throat of z-lon, but it's not very visible in this picture. (recognize what they are sitting on?)

The heads are indeed just thread wraps with 3-D eyes on top. To try and avoid making 3,000 wraps per fly, I use the yarn as bulk, the body as more, then cut the zonker strip slightly long and instead of just clipping it to length, I secure it, then fold it back over.

I need to make more, these are actually my last three!