Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cornmuse

Partridge and Yellow Soft Hackle

Very nice ties. Love those soft hackles! Fast and simple to tie, and they catch fish. What more could you ask for? I like to coat the bodies with a very thin coat of Sally Hansons or 5 min epoxy, makes them more durable.

I like to coat the bodies with a very thin coat of Sally Hansons or 5 min epoxy, makes them more durable.

One of the things I go into in the tying video and step-by-step instructions is to use caution with cement or lacquer if you're using silk threads. I think the soft hackles look (and fish) best with the translucent look of silk. Pearsall's is my favorite, as it is of many others. If you coat Pearsall's with cement you'll end up with a fly that looks a lot different than, perhaps, you intended. The color change is not subtle.

With regular tying thread, yes I wholeheartedly agree. I like to use Sally Hansen's to coat the black thread I use on a Stewart's Spider (black thread body and starling hackle) and then wrap the hackle back from the eye thorugh the mid point of the hook, using the SH to help strengthen the whole fly. Starling feathers are particularly fragile.

Your mileage may vary....

Joe C.

nice pattern.

unique on the mole dub.

im sure this one will do real well.

camoham

Those look great!

I simply have to get me some partridge. You'd think most fly shops would have it... but around here they don't.