Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
blakejd

New here just wondering how I'm doing

Just started tying earlier this week and have about 2 dozen flies under my belt. Thought I would post up a couple of my attempts and get opinions. Thanks up front.

Second attempt at an Adams on a 10 or 12 hook. I feel like the wings and hackle may be a bit big and I'm thinking the head may be a bit overdone with the black thread.

_MG_2924a.jpg

First attempt at Para Adams (sorry about the focus). I definately over did it with the dubbing. I was also thinking that the hackle went a bit high on the chute and was perhaps a bit long.

_MG_2925a.jpg

4th or 5th caddis. I had a bad stimulator so I thought I'd do a bit of a hybrid between caddis and stimulator (mainly just adjusting the color of the dubbing). I feel like the wing may be a bit long and the head (threw in two wraps) sits up too high and may be a bit short.

_MG_2921a.jpg

Thanks again. I'm finding this may be an OCD obsession.

Josh

You are doing fine so far, Josh. Keep tying. I could get all detailed with critique, but I tell you what, tie 24 flies of the same size and same pattern and post the first and the one you think is best and I will let you know what I think. Welcome and happy tying.

Cheers, Futzer.

Well, first thing's first. When I first saw your forum name I was like to myself, "Alas! A fellow Blake!" but then at the end of your post I found out your name is Josh... so I was a bit like <_<.

JK.

Getting to the important stuff. Your Adams and Para Admas look very good for your first couple of tries. I know (and you can look at my older posts) that my Para Adams started off like a Lions game: a complete trainwreck... and probably still is by some peoples standards. But as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

You have no where to go but up!

For the elk hair caddis, I see absolutley nothing wrong with it. I know that I'm sort of promoting less then perfect work when I say that the fish won't care if there's an extra 2 or 10 (ok maybe 10) wraps of thread. Simply put, it's very good but there's always room for improvement. That's something unique to fly tying. It doesn't matter if you've been tying for 20 days or 20 years, there's still always something to learn.

Charlie Craven says in his Basic Techniques book that you should always look at a completed fly and ask yourself, "what can I do to make this fly better?"

Of course, I myself haven't been tying that long so don't take my words to the grave... I have a tendancy to spout off my ideas and stuff.

You're a good tier and you'll only get better. Welcome to the forum!

Hey Josh, they look good! The fish will approve and the rest is just practice.

Keep in mind the things/techniques/attributes that worked well on those flies. It's all to easy to focus on what could be better but when starting out on new patterns I've found its really helpful to acknowledge the positive so you can continue to ingrain these good habits. Otherwise I found I'd backtrack sometimes when I'd start obsessing about the hackle, etc.

Keep up the good work and have fun

Mark

Josh very good job on all 3 flies. It's just a practice thing. Then you'll learn a few pointers and go "wow!, that's sure makes it easier".

So. here is a pointer regarding the elk hair caddis.

Wing length can be a matter of preference. Regarding the head and tying in the wing:

Use just a little more hair than your picture shows. Not much though. After stacking your hair and measuring, grasp the hair bunch in your left hand tightly pinching it just behind the point of tie in. With the thread in your right hand hanging under the hook at the tie in point, and still pinching the hair with your left, take one full loop around the bunch of hair only, then proceed to take a second loop around the hair and hook overlapping your first thread wrap. Cinch the hair to the hook tightly and then take one more full wrap in the same spot. Three overlapping wraps...one around the hair bunch and two around the hair and hook shaft. Do not let go of the hair bunch with your left hand until you have completed all three wraps. Doing the first wrap around the hair only will compact the hair helping to flare it and keep it on top of the hook shank. The hair should be tightly secured to the top of the hook shank with the long butt ends out over the hook eye. Pull about 1/3 of the butt ends up and back and slip a thread wrap between them and the rest of the butt ends (Wiggle the thread a bit to get it to sit deep). Cinch down tightly around the hook shaft. Now pull another 1/3 of the butts up and slip another wrap in tightly. Finally, pull the remaining 1/3 of the hair butt ends up and wedge about 3 more wraps of thread under them and around the hook. Wrapping the butts this way will stand them up, hide all your wraps and greatly increase the durability of the wing tie in. Whip finish under the butt ends and trim them to length. In your photo it looks like you wrapped around your butt ends to stand them up and finish. You won't need to do this and it will make a much neater head, wing tie in and durable fly.

Try it...and I hope it helps. Keep up the good work.

Carl

Flies look great for just starting out and the fish will certainly approve.

I do soft loops on my hair wings but have always incorporated the shank into the loop. I will certainly try just looping the hair first next time. Thanks Old Hat. You Rock!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Old Hat, I'll give this a try tonight, Thanks. I really need to sit down and focus on one fly and this seems like a caddis is a good one.

They'll all catch fish, no problem. Very good ties for just starting out.

Tying is like learning to ride a unicycle or learning to play tennis - it just gets better with practice. I suggest tying at least a couple of flies a day, every day. As said before, concentrate on one pattern, you'll see a great improvement from your first run at it to your last. And remember, this is supposed to be relaxing; don't get all bent out of shape if you have trouble with certain techniques. You will pick them up as you go.

Good luck with your tying, and I hope to see more of your posts.