Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

Burnt Wing Mayflie

Nice fly!

Here are a few tips that will help improve your fly.

You might want to take a bit less dubbing so that te body is thinner, and taper it. Try burning the wings with a soldering iron, you should have more control since it only burns little by little where the soldering iron touches dunno.gif For wings try the tips of turkey and other birds (especialy goose) tail quill tips. For hackle give it 5 wraps minimum and use dry fly hackle thats fibers are 3/4 of the hook shank's length (ok if it a little longer, but no longer than the hooks shank). Also try using a thread that is the same color as the body dubbing. Although your head looks great you can improve it even more by using 8/0 thread and giving 2 wraps to secure hackle then whip finish.

You will have a good fly in no time if you practice (and you can realy increase your chance of wining the Rooky of the year title with it). Keep up the good work thumbsup.gif

B.C.,

The reason I use an open flame is to "swell up the wings," which will actually waterproof the material and add a lot of flotation in swift waters.

This mayfly is similiar to the Iressitable because of its oversized body which makes it more visible to fish in moving waters. But, in still waters, I use a much smaller and a traditional tapered body.

Jarrod

Vices,

I used a white soft feather I found down by my pond....not sure what bird it is off of. You'll laugh at this one...............Computer paper also works good. Try using clear tape on both sides of the paper. Cut it a little larger than you will want it in the outcome. Then, simply take a match, set the wing on fire from the bottom of the wing...... It helps to use aluminum foil for what you dont want burnt.

JARROD