Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJFlyMAn

Crease flies

I noticed allot of people r tying up poppers now, but what about crease flies??? Do they work for large mouth bass??? They look easy to make...

CF_031L.jpg

Sample of one...I didn't tie this guy...

Ill tell ya next week ;)

I tied up 8-9 with different colors to use for Crappies and bass. Ill be "testing" them this weekend and will let you know.

No reason to think they wont work though (at least in my mind)...

I've had the plan to tie up some for bass for a while. I'm sure they'd work. I base this on the fact that I saw a huge bass take a cigarette once, not my clouser, so a crease fly must be as good as a cigarette.....when apparently the clouser wasn't. hmm...maybe i should tie up crease cigarettes instead. :dunno:

Yeah, they work. You can either fish them in/on the surface or you can even fish them on a sinking line as a more "able-bodied" minnow (as opposed to a minnow swimming in the circle of death).

Here's a smallie I got up in Hell's Canyon (Oregon/Idaho).

3951657347_650356cb72.jpg

I love the frenzy it causes fishing them as wounded in the surface.

Here's a perchy one:

IMG_4833.JPG

Here's a video I shot of a buddy who inspired me on the airbrushing part of it:

Yeah, they work. You can either fish them in/on the surface or you can even fish them on a sinking line as a more "able-bodied" minnow (as opposed to a minnow swimming in the circle of death).

Here's a smallie I got up in Hell's Canyon (Oregon/Idaho).

3951657347_650356cb72.jpg

I love the frenzy it causes fishing them as wounded in the surface.

Here's a perchy one:

IMG_4833.JPG

Here's a video I shot of a buddy who inspired me on the airbrushing part of it:

Thanks for posting that video.. I found it very helpful in tying this fly...Neat airbrush he's got..

Curtis, that is one wicked looking hook - what is it? Great looking looking flies! (I just watched the video, he is using a 3366 - is that what you're using? Looks like a longer shank than what a 3366 has.)

Kirk

I tried some of these last summer on a local lake here in Ohio. I caught fish on them, but I still prefer a popper that makes a little more surface commotion. They are easy to tie/make, and do catch fish, though.

My Ill attempt at tying a crease fly..have a good laugh on me..

creasefly.jpg

creasefly1.jpg

:hyst: but only because you said, I never use those smiley face things but this seemed like a good opportunity.

I've never made crease flies before so I certainly have no room to laugh.

I have seen them and can say you are on the right track but two things I notice you need to concentrate on. One is the fold part should be above the hook shank and not glued to it, the open ends of the foam when folded should be just below the hook shank, not the whole body.

Here is a good pictorial tutorial on making one. One thing I notice on the ones I've seen and in this tutorial is that the face has a round piece of foam stuck in to keep the face open and help create a pop like a popper.

http://www.warmfly.com/index.php?option=co...mp;topic=2261.0

Kirk

NJFlyMan, you have the right idea, they just need some refinement. The first ones I made were crude, but they got better the more of them I made. I've probably since made a few hundred.

The only problem I see is you may have a hard time hooking anything with them, because the body is partially blocking the gap of the hook. If you position the hook so that it is at the bottom of the body, you'll have it. :)

Kirk, That is one great pictorial tutorial on making one...Now I have a better understanding on making them.

Also, I tested mine out today...Good and bad news..They float on their side, but the pickerel didn't mind it at all.

Kirk, That is one great pictorial tutorial on making one...Now I have a better understanding on making them.

Also, I tested mine out today...Good and bad news..They float on their side, but the pickerel didn't mind it at all.

Floating on their side isn't a bad thing. Think of a wounded baitfish...they "swim" on their sides in the circle of death. Attracts more attention, IMO.

Floating on their side isn't a bad thing. Think of a wounded baitfish...they "swim" on their sides in the circle of death. Attracts more attention, IMO.

Gotta agree Curtis. One of my painting designs on my hard bodied bugs is with an eye on the top and bottom instead of both sides. Sounds like the pickerel agree; I'm surprised you could hook them with the body down into the gape but goes to show what to much thinking can do while you're out fishing.

NJ, that one looks good, like a pencil popper but lighter.

Kirk