Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Long Have You Been Tying?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

Poll: How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#331 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

About 20 years.  Any time now, I hope to finish my first fly.  :)

#332 smflies

smflies

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Started when I was about 12. Didnt get to seious about until I took some lessons when I was 16. Been tying like crazy ever since. Mostly trout flies but getting into deer hair bass bugs a lot now.

#333 smflies

smflies

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

So that would make about 21 years.

#334 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

I tied my first flies in 1955 or 6, they were pretty pathetic attempts.  I tied off and on for the next few years, and then in 65, I got serious about it.  Fifty seven years from my first attempts, and 47 years since I got serious.  I have enough materials to last me another 40 years or so.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#335 Gary Dimbat

Gary Dimbat

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I am 74 and I have been tying since I was 8 that makes 66 years of tying

#336 Redfox

Redfox

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Since the winter of 1979 if I remember right. Mostly trout flies and salmon patterns.