Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Jungle Cock for Saltwater

Ordered my first Jungle Cock cape from the guy on ebay who seems to sell multiple capes a day.. In any case im never sprang for it so I dont know many fly patterns with them. Of course I could add them to many flies but are their any saltwater "staples" that you tie that include jungle cock "eyes" or even the other feathers on the cape? :unsure:

Hmmmmm.......I'd try not to go where I'm not wanted, but unfortunately that leaves me too few options. Check out Kenney Abrames' flatwing patterns. He's the world's foremost authority on virtually everything, and he'll be the first to tell you. Of course, jungle cock on SW flies is a trendoid affectation that'll get you laughed off the rocks in my neck of the woods, but you already know that. B) Chaque un a son gout.

Initially Id say youre throwing cash away using them on salt water flies as feathers dont hold up well to rough fish and there are plenty of uv products already out there for salt flies. Hopefully you will prove me wrong and give me something to use the eyes on that are a bit large for my trout flies.

did you spend a pile for quality jungle cock or did you go with low grade?

i would say low grade will be fine if your not to worried about fish tearing it up.

i think it would look good in crab flies or on the cheeks of decievers.

Initially Id say youre throwing cash away using them on salt water flies as feathers dont hold up well to rough fish and there are plenty of uv products already out there for salt flies. Hopefully you will prove me wrong and give me something to use the eyes on that are a bit large for my trout flies.

I agree with Piker, but what might be fun is to check out some Atlantic salmon shrimp patterns and see if you think some of them could be modified a bit to work on salty species. The salmon guys tie some pretty neat stuff to imitate shrimp, and jungle cock is used on some of them. I'll bet something akin to a Spey or Dee fly would be killer under the right conditions.

BTW Ben - since it's become obvious that you're independently wealthy, it's probably time for you to start thinking about treating us all to a couple of sailfish trips next summer. Thanks in advance. :)

Sweet! I do hope you got your tweed jacket and monocle in the same shipment so we may sit around the fire and smoke our pipes while sipping fine liquor talking about crumpets and the test match cricket.

I rekon the JC could be used for any deceiver type fly, maybe even those big spade feathers on the cape could be cut to make some crab claws with a bit of UV goo like in the new hatches mag? They make a decent buggy type wing.

mmm cricket lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEH4ahCCrJo

So I typed out a really long response only to have my work computer to decide and block it when I tried to submit. Now Im not happy and dont want to type my long response back in lol :angry:

The "short" of it is this. Its a low grade cape from what seems like "the guy" on ebay. I paid little for this cape and have no problem with feathers being ruined. If they get ruined it means I was catching fish!

PJ: I looked at a bunch of the flatwings. Look awesome. Soon as I get the cape I promise you will see some on here. Anytime you want to get together for a fishing trip, I am in! :D Ill take a look at some of the atlantic salmon flies and see what I can come up with. Im not independently wealthy, Im just not married, nor have I ever been married! :ph34r:

ah the pre married days. When I was the only person to know my pin number and the days were longer, beer was colder and 4 pints was just a lunch time warm up.

Flyfishinjam, liquor is just for uncultured americans. Us brits would only be knocking back Pims before 12 and then its got to be a fruity white for the ladies and a deep red port for the fellas. then as darkness falls, a nice vermouth for the fillies and some proper single malts for the gentlemen.

Piker20, that sounds like my typical 'night in' although i have been relentlessly quaffing red wine like Bernard Ludwig Black.

Glad you are here to fill us in on the proper etiquette - i shall stop drinking malt liquor before lunch now.

:lol: Dont want the cousins letting standards slip old boy. :lol: :lol:

If you can find it, clynelish 18yr single malt distilled just a couple of miles away and lovely on a cool autumn night. Just finishing my bottle of Jura first.

Flyfishinjam, liquor is just for uncultured americans. Us brits would only be knocking back Pims before 12 and then its got to be a fruity white for the ladies and a deep red port for the fellas. then as darkness falls, a nice vermouth for the fillies and some proper single malts for the gentlemen.

I guess this finally answers the question as to where you folks find the courage to face up to English cooking three times a day. Contrary to popular belief, the American Revolution broke out when the people here decided they just couldn't handle another bite of steak and kidney pie. Definitely a cause worth fighting for. :angry:

Ben, JC holds up surprisingly well, I've had a flies last for 10 -15 plus trout. The neat thing about JC eyes is they maintain a fish-like profile on streamers while providing a little something more to look at than painted peepers.

Some say phooey, fish don't care and the added expense isn't worth it... I know fish could care less, however, I do like the way they look and they're fun to tie with, creativity is how we grow as fly tiers...Have seen them used on the flanks of synthetic fur type flies that look pretty sick.

I say rock-on with your big bad JC :blink: self. Just hope you had "safe search" on if you used google to find a good source :lol: could get dicey if you didn't...specially looking for images!!!

Tie on McDuff

Super snooty. Spey hackle and JC...action in the water is unbelievable.

IMG_0897.jpg

Ben, JC holds up surprisingly well, I've had a flies last for 10 -15 plus trout. The neat thing about JC eyes is they maintain a fish-like profile on streamers while providing a little something more to look at than painted peepers.

Some say phooey, fish don't care and the added expense isn't worth it... I know fish could care less, however, I do like the way they look and they're fun to tie with, creativity is how we grow as fly tiers...Have seen them used on the flanks of synthetic fur type flies that look pretty sick.

I say rock-on with your big bad JC :blink: self. Just hope you had "safe search" on if you used google to find a good source :lol: could get dicey if you didn't...specially looking for images!!!

Tie on McDuff

Super snooty. Spey hackle and JC...action in the water is unbelievable.

IMG_0897.jpg

OHHH man I like. Now I just wait for my stuff to arrive..

In the mean time, Im brewing up a Milk Stout on Sunday while smoking a few pheasants :lol: