Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Woodinfliezz

GOO

is there an alternative to use i have seen the deceivers with the really awesome heads that have the eyes in enamel like stuff what do they normally use on these flies any suggestions????

A clear drying epoxy works just fine. Some kind of UV resin if you want it to cure faster.

Normally they use epoxy. I don't like working with epoxy, so I use UV resin. There are several brands, but one of them is called Clear Cure Goo. It comes in thin, medium and thick. You would use the thick to create the heads you are talking about. The only downside is that, after UV curing, the surface still feels tacky. I'm told that this will go away when exposed to sunlight for a few minutes. Be that as it may, I usually top coat the finished head with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. That works too.

Coat the heads in epoxy or UV resin. Flymen Fishing company (Fish Skull) just introduced a new clear plastic head called a Fish Mask that can be slipped over the fly after it is tied to finish the head if you want to stay away from epoxy or UV resin,

There are tack free resins available now that dont require a Hard as Nails finish coat.

i dont know how the current purveyors of the uv cured resins can label their products "tack free" when after they are correctly cured with their recommend light they still are tacky to the touch. i have tried them all so i'm not convinced.

however, i recommend the following uv cured "tack free" resin that truly lives up to being "tack free" right out of the bottle and requires no additional coating with ah head cement or sally hansens

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/uv-resin-system-t42344.html

same resin, different place to buy it

http://www.lundsflyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3669

i dont know how the current purveyors of the uv cured resins can label their products "tack free" when after they are correctly cured with their recommend light they still are tacky to the touch. i have tried them all so i'm not convinced.

however, i recommend the following uv cured "tack free" resin that truly lives up to being "tack free" right out of the bottle and requires no additional coating with ah head cement or sally hansens

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/uv-resin-system-t42344.html

same resin, different place to buy it

http://www.lundsflyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3669

I have been pretty satisfied with the CCG Hydro and Thin Tack Free so far. I am planning to try Lund's next. Brian has been coming up with some cool products through his Misfit Fly Co.

Search Ebay or Amazon for "UltraFire UV light" just about identical to the CCG pro plus light. I bought mine on ebay with two rechargeable batteries and charger for $15-$20, cant remember exactly but i was in the mid teen range.

Flytire is correct. Lund's Misfit resin is my product that has been relabeled.

I was tying for TU last February at a fishing show and our TU booth was right next to Lund's. Brian bought my resin and after he used it, he wanted me to supply it for his fly shop. He wanted it without labels so he could re-label it. We came to an agreement.

I came up with the resin for myself after I was disappointed with the products from other companies. It ticked me off that I had to coat these resins with Sally Hansen's and I was pretty confident that I could do better for myself. I had the knowledge and the $$ to spend to see if I could.

My Premed Major at Stanford was chemistry so I did my own research on UV cured resins and was able to find a tackless formulation after a series of tests on resins. The simple explanation for tackiness is that the resin combines with oxygen that inhibits polyimerization. I was able to get a resin that is resistant to oxygen.

I initially used the resin for myself but other fly tyers asked me to sell them my resin. When they asked me to sell them the resin, I found a supplier that could get it for me at a cost that I was able to sell it for less than the popular brand and recover my cost for development.

Same product in the same bottle:

Mine:

P1020203_zps52e780f6.jpg

Lunds:

Screenshot2013-05-09at121220PM_zps55ef73

Here is a thread on another BB that has several comments by tiers that have bought my Crystal UV Coat.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/uv-head-cement-is-it-worth-it.89774/#post-849087

Silver creek I tried sending you a private message and the system wouldn't let me. I would like to order crystal uv coat from you. Let me know how to place the order. Thanks

My apologies guys, i wasnt fully clear in my post, I didnt mean to imply that Brian created the resin. I assumed it was something relabeled.

The statement was meant to say that he has some good products so I expect that the resin will be good too.

Where does the consistency of your resin fall in comparison to the CCG?

Flytire is correct. Lund's Misfit resin is my product that has been relabeled.

I was tying for TU last February at a fishing show and our TU booth was right next to Lund's. Brian bought my resin and after he used it, he wanted me to supply it for his fly shop. He wanted it without labels so he could re-label it. We came to an agreement.

I came up with the resin for myself after I was disappointed with the products from other companies. It ticked me off that I had to coat these resins with Sally Hansen's and I was pretty confident that I could do better for myself. I had the knowledge and the $$ to spend to see if I could.

My Premed Major at Stanford was chemistry so I did my own research on UV cured resins and was able to find a tackless formulation after a series of tests on resins. The simple explanation for tackiness is that the resin combines with oxygen that inhibits polyimerization. I was able to get a resin that is resistant to oxygen.

I initially used the resin for myself but other fly tyers asked me to sell them my resin. When they asked me to sell them the resin, I found a supplier that could get it for me at a cost that I was able to sell it for less than the popular brand and recover my cost for development.

Same product in the same bottle:

Mine:

P1010517_zpsefd3cf62.jpg

Lunds:

Screenshot2013-05-09at121220PM_zps55ef73

Here is a thread on another BB that has several comments by tiers that have bought my Crystal UV Coat.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/uv-head-cement-is-it-worth-it.89774/#post-849087

It is about the same consistency as the standard CCG. The brush allows the application of thin layers but it is not as thin as the CCG hydro.

I have been testing very thin resins but so far I have not found a true tackless resin that is cheap enough to use as a fly tying resin. As in most products used for fly tying, these resins are commercial grade sealants and glues that are used in industry, for example, the application and sealing of electronic components. Industry can do this in a nitrogen atmosphere with high power UV lamps that prevents the tackiness.

What fly tyers want is a resin that will cure with low power flashlight, in an oxygen atmosphere, and is cheap. That is not easy to do. I have a thin resin but it has tack so I won't sell it.