Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
klemen19

Flies for lake trout

Hello to everyone,

I am interested to try flyfishing for lake trout in the begining of season wich is starting in Slovenia on 1. of April.I would like to target only lake trout beucose in Bled lake there is also pike and zander.I would like to ask which fly patterns do you recommend for lake trout,i am using 10# fly rod with sinking line primarly for fishing streamers and I have also 5/6# rod for fishing nymphs and dry flies.

I'm no expert with lake trout, but I can tell you that your using bigger bait fish patterns. Just last week I hooked into a real nice laker (here we call em mackinaw) on an all white clouser sz. 4. When you do hook into one in shallow water get ready for a hell of a fight!!

Ok,thanks for the tip.But i think we are not having the same species of trout,our lake trout is more like a brown trout and not like yours but i thinks i cannot go wrong whit white clouser or something simmilar.Maybe some white zoonkers would work good....

Klemen 19,

Lake Trout in North America are like super sized, deep bodied, Brook Trout or Dolly Vardens. I am familiar with the Meko Usna

Pastrmka from lakes further south in the old Yugoslavia but not the variant in Slovenia. What is the local name for your Lake

Trout?

Rocco

Hello to everyone,

I am interested to try flyfishing for lake trout in the begining of season wich is starting in Slovenia on 1. of April.I would like to target only lake trout beucose in Bled lake there is also pike and zander.I would like to ask which fly patterns do you recommend for lake trout,i am using 10# fly rod with sinking line primarly for fishing streamers and I have also 5/6# rod for fishing nymphs and dry flies.

I think he is talking about "trout in a lake" not "Lake Trout".