Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Size for Woolly Bugger Lead Wire

I am still in the process of get my tools and supplies gathered up. I have decided that I would like to make some crappie jigs and also maybe some woolly buggers. My question is what size of lead wire thread should I use. I have seen some videos on You Tube but no one says what size thread they are using. Do I use .010 .015 .020 .025 .035??? Thanks for any advice that is given.

I used yo tie a lot of buggers in size 4 3X or 4X long hooks for use primarily during Spring run off; so they had to be heavy to get down in heavy current. Most people wanted at least 20 wraps of.035 lead wire. If you are going to get just one size I would opt for a smaller size like .020 as you can double over when more weight is required. As a very general rule you can match the diameter of the hook wire and the lead wire at least thats what I've done for the past 58+ years of doing this.

basic rule of thumb is the wire is roughly same diameter as the hook shank

but the rule can be broken if and when you want more or less weight on the hook shank

Had this in my notes, but didn't write down where I got it. Something to start from anyway:

.035- hook sizes 4 and bigger

.030-hook sizes 6 and 4

.025-hook sizes 6 through 10

.020-hook sizes 12 and 14

.015-hook sizes 14 and 16

.010-hook sizes 18 and smaller

All good general rules and advise. Remember that you and also flatten out round lead wire. Use smooth jaw pliers to do that. Then you can either wrap the flattened lead, or lash it on top of the hook shank. Several layers of flattened wire tied to the top of a hooks shank (each slightly shorter than the last,) will concentrate the weight on one side. It will cause the fly to flip over and ride point up like a Clouser minnow.

Flattened wire will take up more room per turn, and the same number of turns will not provide the same weight, but you can wrap a second layer near the front. The build up won't be quite so much. You can position the lead to not only weight the fly, but adjust how they ride in the water.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I live in east Texas so there are not many places around here to fish for salmon or trout. I will be mostly fishing for panfish and crappie...Surely a big ole fat crappie would definately love to try to take a bite out a of woolly bugger I would think. Just trying to get a start on being a newbie and from what I have read that is probably the most tied fly around. Today my HMH Spartan vise came so now I need to begin the purchasing of my supplies. I am excite to get this adventure underway for me and my 14 year old son. I think we will have fun learning all types of stuff with this fly tying hobby!!!!!!