Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
glhop1

New from Texas

I'm a new Fly fisherman, and I'm interested in learning to tie my own flies. I primarily fish for bass but after a trip to Creede Colorado, i fell in love with trout fishing and I can't wait to go back. My plans are to fly fish streams and lakes in my area for bass, crappie and perch until I can head back to the mountain rivers. I've been reading up and studying on tying techniques and trying to decide on a vise.

At least it's an easy decision; there aren't many vises to choose from out there.... wink.png

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the site.

I am one of the oddities on here. I am still tying with my original $19.00 BPS Supreme vise. It holds all the hooks I've tied on, although I don't do super tiny flies.

Good luck getting equipped, there's always something else to buy.

Welcome to the forum glhop1, you should fish the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX from November- March - it is stocked with Rainbows, also lots of nice smallmouth bass and Guadalupe Bass their as well. The Lower Mountain Fork river in Broken Bow is stocked every 3 weeks with Rainbows and Brown Trout and is a year round trout stream with lots of public access. If you fish the Guadalupe i highly suggest joining the lease program since almost all access points are private.

Welcome to the forum glhop1, you should fish the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX from November- March - it is stocked with Rainbows, also lots of nice smallmouth bass and Guadalupe Bass their as well. The Lower Mountain Fork river in Broken Bow is stocked every 3 weeks with Rainbows and Brown Trout and is a year round trout stream with lots of public access. If you fish the Guadalupe i highly suggest joining the lease program since almost all access points are private.

I have looked into the guadalupe river, but who is it that I talk to about joining. I know I will only make it over there a couple times in the winter months, about a 4 hour drive from here, but I will no doubt make it. thanks for the tips!

Welcome glhop1! You've discovered a great pastime as well as one of the best possible places to discuss it and learn more about it.

I recently came back from a trip to Colorado myself, and like you I was instantly addicted to the trout fishing out there--and I come from a state (Michigan) that has good trout fishing!

I'll tell you what we need--somebody needs to start a Fly Fisherman Exchange program where families host out-of-state fishermen so they can fish for species they don't have at home. You could come to Michigan and catch all the trout you can stand, and I could go to Texas and finally experience a 10 lb. bass on a fly rod. :)