Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Rainbow Warrior

The Rainbow Warrior is a fly created by Lance Eagan to fish as an attractor for fish targeting smaller sized midges and baetis.  This is a flashy fly that really grabs the trouts attention.  One way I really like fishing it is as my lead fly, and drop a more realistic and less flashy midge behind it like a black beauty or RS2.  I find the trout will come up to inspect the flashy fly, and more often than not they will bite the Rainbow Warrior, however some fish will get spooked by its over flashiness and then see the more natural fly coming behind it and take that.  This fly brings the fish up out of the depths.   

I am stating this based on what Eagan said in a video once.  He recommended to use the larger sized flash as it will help make the fly more durable.  Many people use the finer flash, which you could I guess.  However he states, and I tend to agree, that the thicker sized flash, doubled over on itself will not only give a nice ribbing effect, but also make the fly much more durable.  So do yourself a favor and try it with the large sized flash rather than the fine stuff.  

https://youtu.be/HkK6cobw3AU

Materials
Tail:  Pheasant Tail 
Body/Wing Case:  Pearl Tinsel (large) 
Dubbing:  Rainbow Scud Dub 
Cement:  Solarez Ultra Thin 

Edited by mikechell
insert the video

I fish those babies in a 20, 22 and 24 around here and they are just killer.  Lead fly trailed by 2 more. Yes we can fish 3 flies as you probably remember from your Colorado days.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, Sandan said:

I fish those babies in a 20, 22 and 24 around here and they are just killer.  Lead fly trailed by 2 more. Yes we can fish 3 flies as you probably remember from your Colorado days.

Yes, I don't think I ever did fish 3 at a time though as I would tangle like no other.  HAHA!  But for sure, good sizes for Colorado.  

Im taking a bunch of these to Gunnison in about a month. I have a variant that I am working on tying as well. 18, 20, 22 is the hot numbers from what I've heard.

9 hours ago, Troy Bishop said:

I have a variant that I am working on tying as well.

Welcome to the site.  Post up some photos why dontcha.  

Ok. Here goes nothing.

Here is my variant pattern: Quinn's Rainbow Warrior (named after my dog who passed last year. I name most of my variants after him.)

Hook: Daiichi 1120 
Head: WAPSI Tungsten Bead - Rainbow
Thread: Semperfli Nanosilk 12/0 Red
Tail: Pheasant Tail - Ginger
Body/Rib: Saltwater Flashabou - Pearl
Collar: Senyo's Fusion Dub - Rainbow

I am about to go to the Taylor River and this pattern (original Rainbow Warrior) was suggested to me. I like to switch things up sometimes and like making variants that add to the original. 

Here is the pattern in 14, 16, and 18...and some close ups.

20230418_142813.jpg

20230418_142646.jpg

20230418_142553.jpg

2 hours ago, Troy Bishop said:

Quinn's Rainbow Warrior

Nice tribute to your dog, nice buggy collars on those.  

@Troy Bishop very nice variations. The Gunny and the Taylor are 2 of my favorite fisheries. Hit the Gunny at the Neversink area. Cross the channel. Walk pout to the river 10-12 minutes. Head up stream, you'll have a great time. Hit the hog trough of the Taylor in the evening. Stand on the bridge and you'll see the footballs in the water. Go small in the trough. Oh yeah, welcome to the site