Fly Tying
Radoslav Kiskinov

Iskar river flyfishing

Hi, guys,

it is me again the Shark, writing from Bulgaria.

I am gonna tell you my last flyfishing day for trout in our longest bulgarian river Iskar.

In the upper zone of the river, in Rila mountain, me and some friends of me decided to go flyfishing for trout.

The river are ussualy very high leveled because of the melting snow, but nothing could stop us to fly fish.

So, in the shiny morning we were near the river from left to right Vesko, Kosio, Pigov me and Ivan behind the camera:

user posted image

Every body choose a place of the river where the flow was not with big speed, where the water was as still as it could be at such conditions, behind some big rocks, trees nd bushes, and began to try his own flies.

I tried two caddis flies imitations with lead under body and bodies of yellow yarn mixed with rabbit hair, very effective flies, tied 30 inches one after another with surgeont's knots:

user posted image

And the result came soon, when I was leading the nymphs near the river's bed, behind a stone in the water.

user posted image

A beatifull browny was laying soon in my hands to be shooted and released after that.

Wew all were happy of this fact that fish could be caught in this big level of water.

At the afternoon we decided to go and try another places upstream.

user posted image

I was walking anfd walking down stream to find some convenient places to try and found some where I could caought some else trouts.

The best part of the story was that Ivan was never tried by that time nymph flyfishing for trout, but he caught 3 brownies that day.

user posted image

user posted image

And I was very happy for his good start in this technique of flyfishing.

I appologise if I tell the story so short but I have just drunk two glass of bulgarian traditional home made alcohol - Rakia, wich made my fingers slow like those of the tortoise. laugh.gif

Best to you all, please stop reading these bullshits above and raise the galsses and say - cheers!

Rado

P.S. Dedicated to steeldrifter

Thanks for sharing yuor fishing trip with us.Beautiful fish and pictures.One problem your supposed to show before and after you finish that home made candy water.ha ha.

tt

QUOTE (Radoslav Kiskinov @ Jun 1 2005, 06:22 PM)
I appologise if I tell the story so short but I have just drunk two glass of bulgarian traditional home made alcohol - Rakia, wich made my fingers slow like those of the tortoise. laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's a really pretty little stream you guys where fishing there Rado, nicely colored little brownies as well cool.gif

SD

made my fingers slow like those of the tortoise

hysterical.gif That is the funniest thing I have read in awhile hysterical.gif

Great story, that sure looks like a beauty of a stream.

What and beautiful little river, crystal clear water and nice little trout.

Cheers!

Appreciate the report, great pictures, Rado.

Anybody wonder why they have different names for various strains of Rainbow and some other western trout. But, you don't ever hear of different strains of browns. I can go to different river systems and find discernably different freckle patterns. dunno.gif

Redleg, there are different strains and names but we probably don't hear much about it because I think most of our brown trout in North America are of only two strains: Loch Leven browns and German browns. I know in the UK they distinguish peatland as well and I suspect there are many others.

Seems that Rado has found a nice strain there in his Iskar River.

Hi, guys,

Fish, Redleg, thi is very interesting what you talk about the brownies. Nere in Bulgaria the brown is only one type, but difers in the coloration they have wich depends from the place they live. For example here you are two very diferent colored trouts one from Zlatna Panega river, the other for Iskar river:

user posted image

user posted image

The first one this form Zlatna Panega is brown, but the other one is more to the grey and green color of the skin.

But they resemle each other in this that they both adore my caddis flies:

user posted image

Cheer guys!

Rado

Hi Shark,

I love all the pictures, but the one with the caddis in our hand is truly amazing. Your fishing flies look just like the real caddis. I think you will catch many fish with those and I hope you keep sharing your passion and pictures with us. Take care and cheers.

Graham