Fly Tying
Al Beatty

Non-Tying Question

Shhh! I'm a librarian. Specifically, I coordinate the library's mobile outreach service to the local community, a large part of which consists of circulating library materials to homebound patrons, assisted living facilities, hospitals, etc. Can be very rewarding. Also worked as flyfishing school instructor at local fly shop. Been back in the U.S. about 5 years now. Previous 10 years I taught English at Tohoku Gakuin University in Sendai, Japan, where my daughter (14) and son (12) were born. My wife of 19 years works as executive secretary to the principle of the local intermediate 5th-6th grade school and part-times at the library helping patrons with geneological research. Prior to moving to Japan I was bass player/co-lead singer in touring Christian rock band for 6 years. We met at one of our concerts. Band was invited to Japan summer of '85. That's where I developed an interest in the country and we moved there 5 years later after I got my masters in teaching ESL. Enjoyed flyfishing for Japanese trout!

QUOTE (Nealbo @ Jun 23 2005, 03:53 PM)
I am unemployed, but July 13 I leave for basic training at Fort Jackson "US ARMY"

are you ready to melt?

nasty hot and humid.

I did basic training smae place/time of year back in '79.

it was fun, but that weather is miserable.

good luck.

mgj

I'll add that I teach fourth grade in the inner city, my wife teaches first.

we met at work. next year will be our first year not working together in 13 years, which may be a bit strange. it's ok by me though, since it's like having another principal.

mgj

i work in one of the worlds leading tool and die matenance manufacturing companies. i personally run a wire forming mill making flux cored wire. we specialize in the tool and die welding products, but also do alot (and i mean alot) of specialty chemistry welding products for companies. besides my main job as a mill operator, i also run a extrusion press for making stick electrodes, draw the wire down to smaller sizes on various machines, and just about anything else my boss needs me to do at the time.

my wife is a teachers aide in a special education room for one of the local middle schools.

have 2 boys (10 and 5) and both love to fish smile.gif

I'm 42 and work as a Data Center Operations supervisor and working on trying to build a fly fishing business that I can take to a full time level in about 10 years with minimal overhead/start-up debt.

My wife is 27 and works as an Assistant Controller for a local entrepreneur and is doing pretty well. With any luck she'll be making wnough in 10 yrs that it will make my jump to the fly shop pretty painless. wink.gif She is also takes care of the books for me after I record all of the expenses and income. thumbup.gif

I've got a 6 yr old daughter who is going into 2nd grade who is a real daddy's girl who likes to fish, ties flies and can't wait to start hunting with me! smile.gif

QUOTE (Brewer @ Jun 23 2005, 07:25 PM)
My other half works for Labatts Brewries of Canada in I.T< you have no idea how many jams he has helped me out of...and got me into .

you know my other half???

I'm a CAD designer for an Air conditioning company in central New York. Was blessed enough to get a home only a stone's throw from one area's best trout

streams (Chittenango creek) and ten minutes from one of the best Bluegill ponds

(Cazenovia Lake). Now if I can only find more time for tying ....... thumbup.gif

Hey Al,

While I check out this site every day (one of my favorites), I'm one of the guys that "hangs in the shaddows" and only occassionally post.

I'm the State Medical Entomologist in Louisiana... primarily dealing with mosquitoes and disease transmission, i.e. West Nile, EEE, and SLE.

I've been tying at FFF Conclaves for almost 20 years.

Have 4 kids (5 - 14 yr.s old) - 3 of which fly fish.

KM

I'm a prototype die designer,N.C. programmer,tool and die maker/machinist for an automotive related company. (boring) Home job is prototype cad design and manufactoring for a west coast rock climbing company. (Not so boring) It includes traveling out to the western states a couple times a year.

I have 2 sons. Oldest is 19 and starting his 2nd year of college. The youngest is 16 and starting his Jr. year of high school. My youngest is the one I blame for starting my Fly fishing and tying addiction. He bought me my first fly rod last year for my birthday and it's been down hill from there.

BFR

I'm currently working with my friend that owns a Web Development company, http://www.workingproject.com. I've been doing this stuff for about 7 years, I'm 26. I left my old job in Jan, they were cutting back and I got offered a % to run it while the owner went traveling around the world...too bad the % wasn't enough, so I walked.

I'm from New Orleans and had the chance to move to Las Vegas, where my friend is based. So I made the move and now work out of the house which is pretty nice.

Other than that, I tie flies, fish when I can, and tend to lay on the couch more than I should.

I am a student at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Biology with my concentration in Environmental Studies. Also I do some fabrication work on the side to pay for my JEEP habit.

I work with armyflyfisherman, and our good buddy matt, who takes the credit for the gay #10 cardwell whilst i am the creator of the normal looking #10 cardwell which actually catches fish. Im in the same company and battalion. Ive been in for just over three years now, and im a small arms/towed artillery repairman. I work with everything weapon related. The job is absolutely awesome, i just hate stupidity. But hey, im proud of what ive done and what im doing, just not sure if im gonna keep the streak going or not. I just registered with this site today, and am finding my way around. It seems like a cool idea, and im lookin forward to learning something from everyone. This is my 3rd year flyfishing, and im an addict without question. I will no more fall into the "Meat slinger" category as my buddy harris puts it. For my final remark, id just like to say that i am the inspiration for the #10 cardwell, however it wasnt always as wild lookin until the jackass above me took over it (right matt?) my name as well (#10whitewolf) is a joke between my buddies and i just in case someone out there thinks i am actually dumb enough to tie a white wolf on a # 10 hook.....lol

I sell real estate in the beautiful town of Lake Chelan, Washington. My wife is the assistant to the CEO of a major bank in town. Our son Ty is a master goof off, but thats ok, he's only 4. This is a great thread. Just to see what everyone does in there daily life.

JR