Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yodafly

Bass line

What bass lines do you guys use? I need a new one. Ive been using a teeny pro series. I love the line but im having a hard time finding another one.

I use WF floating almost all the time. On my favorite rods to fish the line gets punished and I change them after two seasons. So I go with the best price which is usually Cortland 333. This year Hook and Hackle had their own brand name at the best price and it fishes great. The "quality" is only in the eye of the person buying the line.

I just bought a Cortland 444 SL presecion Bass/Big fly line I like it so far it is fairly new though. GOt it on my new 8 wt.

FM

Got it at Hook and Hackle online discount about $44 i think.

Let me turn y'all onto one of the absolute best bass line bargains out there. Get an Orvis Clearwater or SA Headstart line or similar line designed for beginning casters. They typically run about $29 - some might go as high as $39 but that's stretching it. Make sure you get the line designed for beginning casters that has "an extreme front taper weighted so the beginner can feel the rod load." What you will have purchased is something equivalent to a Clouser Big 'N Nasty WF at about half the cost.

These lines are typically about 60 feet long, but that isn't a problem as no one fishes bass beyond 60 feet all that often. Besides, its fun to occassionally cast one into the backing! headbang.gif

I use a headstart on a 9' six for smallmouth bugging and its perfect for the small to medium creeks around here. I also use the Orvis line on an 8.5' five for bluegill bugs. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Joe C.

I'm using SA concept at the moment, I find it fairly easy to cast, but on my other reel I have DT aircel and it takes a little more work. I've read good things about headstart, and if the store doesn't get my ultra 4 bass in soon, they can keep it and I'll just grab headstart instead.