Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dble Haul

Tandem hickory shad imitation

Thats just perfect.

Has the three fish catchinest ingredients of marabou, saddle hackle and peacock delievered in a large package that looks plenty light enough to cast...especially with a shooting head.

How vital is the stinger hook? I think I'll tie some up on circle hook, a few mods and you have a dynamite squid pattern too I bet...looks great for clear water.

Thanks for posting that.

IMO, the stinger hook isn't entirely vital. Both fish I caught last week took the front hook, and the stinger was clearly outside of the mouth. Stripers take their prey head first, so I really think that a single hook would be fine.

I tied this one in tandem on the advice of my host at the fishing spot. In that ambush location, he's seen stripers take the shad sideways and violently shake them. But that wasn't the case when I was there.

I haven't used arctic fox as a marabou substitute because the marabou isn't what gives up the ghost first with these flies. It's always the hackle that takes a beating.

I'll definitely keep you suggestion in mind.

Serious fly Mark and great story on T.F.F. you got to like it when you develop a pattern that kicks ass! congrats!!