Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kausboy

Splitting Tails

I use the ball of thread at the end and the piece of tying thread pulled back with varying success is splitting mayfly tails. I use mostly fibbitts but will use hackle tips on occasion. My tails send to rise up or are generally uneven. wallbash.gif Any suggestions?

Hi kausboy,

I take a six-inch piece of scrap thread, pass it around the bend of the hook, bring the two ends together, pull them behind the hook, and bring them up, over, & throught the tail fibers (splitting them in half). Anchor the thread to the hook shank with a couple of thread turns then adjust the angle of each side of the tail by pulling on the individual thread strands; finish binding the strands to the hook and trim any waste materials.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

On big flyhooks (#14 and up) I use a ball of dubbing, but on smaller hooks I do it the Olliver Edwards'way, using the tying thread, I push my thumbnail into the tail end, so the fibers split en stand up. Then I divide the fibers with the thread.

Sjo

QUOTE (kausboy @ Aug 8 2005, 07:31 PM)
I use the ball of thread at the end and the piece of tying thread pulled back with varying success is splitting mayfly tails. I use mostly fibbitts but will use hackle tips on occasion. My tails send to rise up or are generally uneven. wallbash.gif Any suggestions?

If you want to continue using the thread ball or dubbing ball method, just start the thread ball into the bend of the hook. You will still get a bit of upward tilt, but because you've anchored your tails in the bend, they will lie even with the shank.

Tight wraps,

Aaron

Note: This trick is for fishing flies only. you would be skewered if you did it in a contest.

Here is a method I learned in a class I took from John Betts.

After you tie your tail in, take your bodkin and lay it parallel to the hook shank (nearest you) with the point towards the front of the hook, wrap two wraps of thread around the bodkin and hook shank behind the tail. Move the bodkin so your thread comes up behind the tail and jams into the tail starting to "cant" the tail upwards.

Next take your bodkin and place it perpendicular to the hook shank, behind the tail (with the point pointing away from you) and take one wrap of thread over the bodkin/shank and get it up under the tail just as close to the tail as you can get and pull the bodkin out.

Now your tail should have a somewhat up cant and should be starting to split. This might be enough of a split but you can also use your finger at this point to split them more (the extra thread wraps behind the tail support it so you won't crush it) or make a couple wraps of thread between the tails to split them.

I know my instructions are not the best but try it and see if you like it. I know it has a name but at this time I cannot remember it.

Kyle

I also used the scrap thread trechnique to split tails, works particularly well with mcirofibbets. I like the flexibility to vary tenson on the thread as you pull it up and over the bend, resulting in a wider (...or narrower) split. You can also use a figure eight wrap with the tying thread to split the tail fibers, but it is a little too bulky for small sizes.