Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Classic Salmon Fly Swap

QUOTE (jbrowning @ Aug 21 2005, 10:59 AM)
I'm in if that is ok with everybody. Mine won't be quite as nice as Bud's I'm sure. I will do two freestyles also.

Thanks
Jim

Hey Jim,

I'm not opposed to you joining us, I'm by no means fluent in the art of tying the classics either.

I think it would be a great learning opportunity for us less experienced tyer's to see some great flies up close and personal and on the flip side for the more experienced guys to actually receive one of our flies in person and, (If they don't Mind) giving us constructive feedback on any of our techniques.

I think this Classic Swap would capture the true spirit of this website. The sharing of fly tying experience with others!!

Does everybody agree?

So Jim is In like flynn. One more slot to go guys and we are full up!!!

Damian

Hey guys -

I agree with Damian. This is an opportunity to share experiences with each other and swap some flies and lies as well.

I can tell you that Bud has only been tying any kind of flies for about 18 months but he is also one of those rare, special talents that comes along every once in awhile.

I have been tying flies for almost 25 years but only doing the Salmon/Spey/Dee fly thing for about 20 months as well. Trust me when I tell you that I draw on those 25 years experience in almost every fly I tie. I also try to get the opinion of some of my mentors as well. Got to fuel that ego you know.

Look at my fly boies compared to Bud's. There is no comparison from a fullness standpoint. That being said, I am not totally sold on a fat body compared to a thin body, a low wing compared to a high wing, etc.

Hope this makes sense. If I could have some Single Malt right about now it would make a lot more sense to me, but got to go to work.

So, I guess where I am going with this is, who am I to judge someone else's work. Every fly is special in its own way. I will gladly give some "constructive comparison" because the way I tie is not the same as the way you tie. As my mentor is wont to say, "The only person you have to please with your flies is yourself."

Now, let's tie.

Kyle

Well put Kyle.

This is going to be exciting. I wanted to do a couple Lady Amherst ties but I think I'm going to tackle a Jock Scott so I can take full advantage of any constructive critisisms as I'm all about learning from my mistakes! LOL!

One more slot to go guys!

Cheers,

Damian

Sweet and Davie makes our 6 gentlemen.

Thanks for joining us Davie. Everyone sure is in for a treat of a swap!

Freestyle is great!

Well guys that's it, all six slots are filled up and we are ready to tie.

Deadline for submissions is Oct. 15th, 2005

2 flies per tyer!

Can't wait to see everyone's work!

Let's Tie Boy's!

Cheers,

Damian

Damian, in light of recent events in the southern US, and our friends that live there, what would everyone say to either 1. tying one more fly to be auctioned off & funds going to help out down there or 2. flies donated being auctioned off for relief efforts. It won't be much monetarily, but to those of us who right now seemingly have everything, even clean drinking water & washroom facilities are a luxury to those affected. Of all the news footage I've seen, even cat/dog food washed up from the dockyards is being distributed at shelters for pets. If anyone has any other suggestions, or other ways to help out as a group, feel free to post them. I, for one, would be happy to donate flies to a worthy cause, as I have done in the past with my affiliations in different organizations. My 2c worth, and it's donated. Jamie

I would be happy to tie an extra fly, the question is how do we organize an auction? Right here on the FTF? I'm up for it!

hey Guys,

So here's the final list as we have it.

CapeBSalar (Damian Swapmeister)

SpeyH2O (Vinnie)

Kyle Hand

Bud

mcmutt (Jamie)

Jbrowning

Peaty Mann

Bud unfortunately I believe is bowing out of this swap for more than understandable reasons guys, we'll will certainly miss your contribution Bud.

So that being said, it looks like we are down to 6 tyer's including myself, each tying 2 classics of their choice. October 15th deadline.

Thanks guys for giving this a shot.