Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge #9

Hey Guy's,

It's time for September's realistic challenge and Midges should prove to be interesting and considering the small physical size, quite challenging as well.

Here's a nice picture to use for reference and feel free to tye patterns resembling midges where you live and fish. I look forward to looking at your flies and learning how you tyed them.

user posted image

Here is a link to macro midge photo by Jay Barnes and he has more awesome pics in his gallery at:

macro photo - midge closeup shot

Graham

Ooooh yes, this is sure going to be challenging! Gotta finish some flies that I'm working on, after that it's all midges for me!

Ulf

Here's my first attempt, it's about 15mm long, I used 4lb maxima chameleon for the legs, thread for the body, spent wing material for the wings, and for the antenae I used a paint brush fiber with "split ends", w/c I kinda goofed up when applying the cement around them. It could have came out beter but I didn't take my time on it like I should have, probably only put 30-45minutes into it. But I'm ready to take a better crack at it now

user posted image

Hey OLB, what a cool looking fly, and it looks great on the water!!!

If you didn't use a hook, what did you tye it on? I've met a guy several times over the years who doesn't use hooks, just wire, he just likes to feel the fish take the fly, and hold on to it. He makes realistic birds and fishes the edges of thules. his baby chick falling out of the nest video is insane, and you wouldn't belive how long the bass hold on. He also does the same with dragonflies and he has a blast, makes some of the most amazing videos I've ever seen, and never hooks a fish.

Your fly looks like a super fish catcher and it needs to be on a hook. biggrin.gif

Graham

I tied it on a quilt basting needle, $1.15 or so for 10 at Wal Mart. They've got gold eyes. The metal is pretty cheap so you can just tighten up your vice and squeeze it and it will break wherever you grab onto it

QUOTE (GlobalFisher @ Sep 5 2005, 09:37 PM)
Thats cool Alex, reminds me of a water skipper bug. The bugs that skip around on the water...

Nice job!

Oh Geoff, you don't say! *lol*

Thats an cool one OLB headbang.gif

Heres my first laugh.gif

i just have to try this hook,they have been in the hook box for years....so i tryed to do an Ceratopogonidae"black fly"it was real hard to get a pic on it,but i hope you see the wings spent.....The hook are size#32

Leif albert

post-49-1126036118.jpg