Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowfin47

Crappie help

I went fly fishing in a private pond, actually an old gravel pit, with my 14 year old son last Sat. This pit is reather deep and has large i.e. 2-3 lb. crappie, i.e. white perch or as their know here in south Louisiana - sacalait.

We fished a number of patterns, depths and presentations. However, other than two small bream, i.e. bluegills, we were skunked.

Barring live minnows or Powerbait, what would flies, lines, and methods would ya' try in such a situation?

Were you getting down to the depth that the crappie were holding? For a deep area like that a sinking line would probably be your best option. :dunno:

White and pink are the killer crappie colors around here. A small wolly bugger with a white body and a pink head is the best I have found for them. A sink tip or sinking line will get down to them and help you stay in contact with the fly so you can give it a nice short strip and pause retrieve.

Crappie this time of year can be found deep resting on the bottom. they tend to hang on the transitions between sand and soft bottom. They are eating lots and lots of nymphs that live in the soft bottom. here is a fly that I use. Simple bead head with lead antron dubbing and a tail marabou or polar hair. you can use ice dub to red and white is hot.

post-2608-1129757723_thumb.jpg

Well, here in PA for crappie i use trout magnets or crappie magnets, both made by a company named Leland's Lures. They are ment for like using a spinner reel for trout, but i myself use them as flies. You can also use the crappie magnets which are a little bigger than the trout magnets. Trout magnets also work for bass and panfish as well as crappie and trout, the other day i pulled in a pretty nice about 15 inch largemouth as well as a crap load of crappie. Heres the site, http://www.troutmagnet.com/home.html

good luck,

FUSION