Fly Tying
TerryLee

Pheasant Skin

I got a pheasant skin for Christmas. It looks cool, with all the colors and stuff, but I'm not sure what to use the feathers for. What do you guys use pheasant for? Any advice/info is appreciated, but I am especially interested in uses for these feathers related to bass flys.

Thanks,

Terry

Look up a website for Jack Gartside. He has many patterns and uses for pheasant. Sorry, I don't have time to google it up myself.

I saved a couple of pieces of skins from hunting this year that are drying as I type. There are some beautiful golden colored feathers that I want to tye into some Matukas, and the brown marabou from near the legs should make a really nice small leach pattern, just about the same color as you buy at the baitshop.

I second the motion to check out Jack Gartside's patterns. He ties a "Pheasant Hopper" that uses the church-window feathers on a ring-neck's back. It's a great pattern. It's caught a lot of trout for me, and I'm sure it would be equally effective on smallmouth streams where hoppers are a food source.

John

A pair of the feathers from the cape of a rooster pheasant makes for a great wing on a Homberg style fly. I tie one using the "church window" feathers that is a very nice imitation of an immature northern hog nose sucker - an important creek baitfish for smallmouth in the autumn. Also you can use the feathers from the shoulders of the wings to tie soft hackle flies - killer patterns for early summer/post spawn smallmouth.

Joe C.

Gartside has a good website. You guys were right, he loves pheasant skins :lol: . Some of what he wrote was a bit over my head, though.

day5, your craw flies look really cool to me. How much for a pattern :D ?

How much for a pattern

Do you mean you wanrt to know how to tie it? Heck Ill just tell you it is no biggie! PM me if you want info