Fly Tying

gummi minnow

so what are you saying, it needs to be removed from the database then??

My only issue is that this thing is essentially a mister twister ..... lol.

Not enough fur and feathers for my taste.

tim, i see your point. but at the same time i have to disagree. to me a fly is anything that has to be tied by hand onto the hook. granted the gummi isnt necessarily tied on, but it still requires the time and some skill to do.

there are still some people out there who consider anything other than dry flies a true fly. why, who knows. there are also alot that consider streamers to be unethical. i dont know why, you still are trying to "match the hatch" per say, just not with bugs, but with minnow/bait fish imitations.

I can buy kits and mold to make my own twister tails and jigheads, but it's not a fly..... it requires time and some skill to do ... a gummy minnow is essentially the same thing.

There are many Streamers that use synthetic materials such as Mylar tubing, tinsel kristal flash hot glue heads and the like.

Once we start excluding new materials used for fly tying we also are limiting ourself’s

OSD.

i guess a better definition would be if it was designed to be used with a fly rod, then it should be considered a fly.

jigs and twister tails are not meant to be used with a fly rod, but the gummi minnow was.

OSD is 100% correct....there a many new matrials on the market today and as fly fisherman are constantly looking for new ideas and improvments to come up with materials that help to mimic the natural food form we are trying to imitate so there will always be a material that someone will disagree with that is used for tying.

The gummi minnow was a good addition to the database 4 months ago and still is a good addition today.

SD

For what it is worth here is my opinion. All of this talk about what is a fly is rediculous. You take a bare hook and wrap some material on it and cast it with a fly rod......sounds like a fly to me. It's not any different than any other fly that uses modern day synthetics. Many guys make bunny leeches using jig style lead heads and cast them with a spinning rod, does that make a bunny leech any less of a fly? Just because there is a new material on the market that can make a fly look "real" doesn't mean it's no longer a fly.

I vote for quit worrying about how other people are fishing or what they are fishing with. Worrying about what materials can or cannot be used in creating a fly is just plain stupid in my opinion.

They must of been out of stock but I don't remember getting a rule book when I bought my first fly rod or vise, maybe somebody could loan me their copy.

In LAdykillers defense. I have seen this argument on a lot of different boards. I have made some of the gummi minnows and will be trying them out this summer. I have also used the sili skin and combining it with flash and rabbit strips to make some damn cool looking bunny minnows ( or trix-r-4kids minnows)(sili-rabbit--getit,nudge nudge).

Ladykiller ties awesome looking real streamers, with natural and synthetic materials. His opinion of wether that is a fly is one that is widely shared. I agree that it is no different than gluing a mister twister grub to a hook, but I am not sure, barring legal issues of the area I fish, that I wouldnt try that too.

john

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ May 17 2004, 07:07 PM)
They must of been out of stock but I don't remember getting a rule book when I bought my first fly rod or vise, maybe somebody could load me their copy.

lol.gif

ridder, i do agree, tim ties up killer flies. i have seen them first hand. i am not trying to argue with him on this, but i am trying to bring up a discussion as to why he believes what he believes. i have no problem with tim, i have fished with him before and he is a great guy. i just believe if you are going to state an opinion about something, you should be able to back it up (as he has). that and the fact it was one of the few flies i submitted to the database.

i just didnt know if his problem was with the fly or me (we have had our differences else where, and the company we kept at one time didnt help smile.gif).

If somebody has a personal opinion and thinks it's not a "real" fly, so be it. That doesn't bother me one bit. Just because FFE put that into the database doesn't force anyone to tie one up and use it the next time they go out. The problem is when somebody looks down on someone else because of the way they fish or what they fish with. The point it: Who cares? I seen people tipping flies with minnows in Erie,PA for steelhead using their fly rod, did I say a word to them.....NO. Did it ruin my experience having somebody fish like that next to me......NO. Did I think it was strange.....YES. If that is the way they wanna fish and they are not breaking any laws......what's the big deal dunno.gif

There is also a large group of people who think that LadyKiller's streamers are not considered flies(I have an article to prove that), so there is not one member here that is not doing something wrong in somebody's eyes.

Nobody should be chastised for their chosen fishing methods, that's all.