Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redwings1

Scumline House Fly

Messing around and came up with this last year and tiesd some up tonight. Good pattern for fishing around scumlines and weedy crap. The wings actually keep it afloat for the most part. Great for panfish, crappie, and even the occasional bass (though bass are much harder to keep attached to your line on this fly).

IPB Image

Good Day,

When I read "scumline" I was thinking of Lake Michigan in summer. It is already fairly well known that game fish congregate around the or on the scumline in the big lake as it concentrates lots of food items. I have been ten miles out fly fishing for steelhead on the surface in late July! What a blast!!!

Steelie

Im wondering if you have ever fished this fly "drowned"? Or any hits if it sank? I see house flys all times of the year, and was thinking the fish do to.

Yes, but definitely got more hits last year not long after it would splat into the surface. It stays afloat for 10 seconds or so before the eyes pull it head first under and I usually wold just retrieve it and surface plop it again.

the use of bead chain will certainly sink it and flip it up side down for sure, try foam for the eyes it will float alot better.plumbob ties a fantastic real looking house fly with just foam and duck quill..pm him for the recipe..