Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

My first Gummy Minnows!

The bent one came first as I forgot the rule/warning of not attaching the Sili Skin while stretched, cause it will pull itself back to length. I tied them on a number 10 nymph hook, 'cause I want to have some in a size to chase 'Gills with. (It's not just a name baby, it's a lifestyle!) I'll make small ones right now, but I'm not making any Shad shaped ones until I know they'll be around this year.

I'm convinced that this would make outstanding Grass Shrimp, too. After feeding them to my fish for years, and even breeding them for a few seasons, I know that this stuff would make a great imitation.

post-23-1073787419.jpg

I like the grass shrimp idea. The weakies and stripers chow down on them in the warmer weather. I guess I really don't tie gummy minnows per se. I've got them tied down to size 12 but I'm tying them on 3xl and 6 xl hooks using poly bear or rat tail blended with angel hair for the tail. Now one suggestion I would make if your going to tie them that style is to use a short shanked hook. I've got them tied down to size 10 using Gamakatsu SC15 hook in the original styles. Other possibilities would be to see if you can get drop shot hooks in smaller sizes, Gamakatsu Octupus hook or even a straight eye shrimp caddis hook. Just think you need a wider gape on the hook. What I've been doing when tying the original style is to make an underbody of aluminum tape, and add a tail with some movement, then fold the MOP sili skin over the tape. Then my color with a permanent marker, eyes, then coat with Soft body epoxy. I think it adds a bit of strength to the fly, and I can use them in either fresh or salt water when I need a small fly in the 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 inch range. Keep playing with the stuff.

Just a little suggestion, don't block the hook gap. Your hook-up rate will not be very good if of you're gap is blocked.

Otherwise nice looking fly.

Mark,

this fly intrigues me...did you find it very hard to "tie" and what tips can you give for creating this pattern?

Better man than I.

I didnt even want to touch the sili skin with out some kinda idea on how big to make the pieces. Stuff is to expensive for a long trial and error period.

I was thinking about using a Mustad 3366 for the hook.

Gotta agree with needing a wider gap hook.

Did you use scissors to trim it. Did you find the material difficult to work with.

Come on man give up the information !!! wink.gif

One secret opens up the whole thing: picture it folded over the hook. That's it! If you want to be really careful, start by cutting pieces of paper until you get the proper shape for what you want to tie. Put a hook in the vice, and fold that paper over the hook until things are the way you want them, the start with the skin.

It cuts surprisingly easy considering how it feels. I used my deer hair scissors and they cut fine, so I know that a pair with a good edge would slice right through. Since I was going for an elongated minnow shape, I first lay the material over the hook in the vice to get the length I needed. Then... picture the silouhette of the Empire State Building; kind of like an elongated "V". I cut a piece this shape, and after removing the backing, I carefully lay it on top, with the hook more or less in the middle. Square end at the eye of the hook. After putting all the layers on, I trimmed the square edge away from the "chin", and there ya go!

To get a good body look, you first cut a piece of the silver skin and put it on, then the pearl just a bit longer, and lay that over top. Then you cut a piece of green to make the dorsal colors, and lay it down the back. J. Johnson and I were told this by Mark at International Angler on Saturday morning, and just like any fly, it will take practice, but the basic pattern is extremely simple.

Cut the silver piece, put it on.

Put the eyes on

Cut the pearl piece, put it on.

Cut the green piece for the dorsal, put it on.

Trim.

For something like a Shad, I would say to cut a heart shape, then fold it over with the hook eye at the "v" in the heart. I just thought it would be easier with something so small to just cut it square and trim it.

Don't let it scare you, I'm as ham-handed as it gets, and I found that you just need to go slow. Mine are pretty ugly now, but it is the basic fly. Those are literally the very first two (and only two at this point) that I've tied. I'm not too upset about the first one because I know that any fly will catch fish at the right time, plus it gives me the idea for a shrimp too. Purposely stretching the tail to make it curl. But that's a pattern for another post...

post-23-1073940661.gif

I use the mustad hook too. You are supposed to put the belly piece on from the underside of the hook, that way the siliskin is tight against the hook shank.

john

Mark,

Look much better, I have only made two and they need work.

What hook did use Mustad 3366 ?

I actually used a kink shank Mustad #6. I'm still trying to find just the right gap size without increasing the shank length too much.

I see the kink now that you mentioned it.

I dont see the lead wraps on yours. Try the 3366's they are not to expensive and have a good hook gap.

When I made my two, I gave them the bath tub test and was disapointed in the action.

Next time I'll have to make sure Jill is out of the tub first laugh.gif j_k.gif

That's the only beef I have with those flies they look a little "stiff", of course that happens when I put anything in the bathtub with my wife blink.gif