Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ladykiller

Zoo Cougar

Guest Ladykiller

This is an awesome fly. I've used it successfully here in Michigan and in Arkansas. It's fished on a full sinking line or a sink tip line. I lost a brown of about 27" this fall on one of these. Popular colors: olive, chartreuse, yellow, and tan.

Great fly for big browns (and don't forget smallies and even pike). I tie it up to size 2/0 on 4XL saltwater hooks for BIG trout (so far biggest is 23", but lots more around the 20" mark on this fly).

Ladykiller mentioned its good in chartreuse, tan, olive, and yellow. I've found black and white to also be effective. I think it's one of those flies where the style and not necessarily colors are effective.

Though it defeats the purpose of the floating deer-hair head and to an extent the action the woodduck flank wing gives the fly, a conehead on this fly also works very well.

Great fly!!

Derek

That's a great pattern and a really nice tie! How fast does it sink and have you tried tying it so it floats and fishing it like a mouse? I'd bet it would be a blast here in New Mexico for big browns!

Guest Ladykiller

Sink rate of this fly is dependent on the sink rate of the sinking flyline, since the fly itself is not weighted. This is a floating fly that is meant to be pulled under by the sinking line. However, there are a few of us here in Michigan (myself included) that also fish this fly on a floating line after dark as well. If you put the Whitlock mouserat pattern and the zoo cougar side by side and view both of their silhouettes from underneath, you will see they almost look identical when wet. I've caught big trout on both after dark. What a riot!

Hey lanvaettir, email me about the trout fishing with mice patterns there in New Mexico. I'm curious as to what other areas of the US have this type of fishing as it is rarely talked about.

i have had nice results on a floating line with this pattern as well....has taken many smallies and bucketmouths in the warm waters....

Guest Ladykiller

Actually, on this fly, not only is the style important, but the color is very important as well.

Case in point, the last three days of the regular season here in Michigan last September the browns were being picky as usual. Couldn't buy a fish on anything except yellow medium-size unweighted flies.