Fly Tying
newflytier

starting out

hello fellow tiers im just starting out at tying the classic/traditional style salmon flies and would like some advice on where to get materials from at a lesser price if at all possible ive tied trout flys for a couple of years and would like a new challenge....... any suggestions? :help:

It is all personal preference really, however when I started tying I would pick a pattern and get all of the componets of that fly together then tie just that fly. Classics have some very rare feathers in some of them so depending on which pattern you start with will somewhat determine your cost.

PM me if you are having trouble and I'll try to help with the feather side.

Mark

Definitely take the advice given above. I've been tying for a month now... have won numerous e-bay auctions for lots of materials as well as a big grab bag at a local trout unlimited auction and I STILL seem to be short something with every fly that I decide to tie.

I would also advise hitting up your local library. Mine (Madison, WI) has a lot of fly tying books available. Best to get are the ones that have extremely detailed (20 or 30 steps!) instructions on how to tie 5 or 6 different flies.

Those books are great for getting you going, but not worth owning because you don't need that level of instruction after you've tied a couple.

Then you can get a book that has tons of aptterns in it, with only 5 or 6 key steps for each.

This may be a little late since you sent this in a month ago.

I started tying last year and had the same problem. I had picked two particular areas that I wanted to fish in: Salt and local smallmouth and largemouth bass in the Delaware River and local ponds. Not much choice around here.

This turned out to be a benefit. My first flys were Deceivers and Clouser Minnows. Then I branched out to Woolly Buggers (thanks to Al Beatty's video). I bought some basic colors of bucktail and strung feathers that are good enough for salt, some barbell eyes and hooks in 2/0, 2, 4, 8. The 2/0, 2, and 4 are stainless for my saltwater fishing, but there is no law against using them for bass. My 8's were bronze for small bass that I find locally.

I have since branched out and bought Chenille and different colored threads and some better quality feathers whenever I can find a sale. I am always on the lookout for sales on hooks. I also hit the local craft store for Peacock herl, ostrich hurl and corks for poppers (Lefty Kreh has a great popper made from a wine cork). I also raided my daughter's nail polish and bought some Sally somebodies hard as nails. I use this stuff on my deceiver's and on my poppers.

One score I did make was to show up at the Somerset, NJ fly fishing show on the last day. I picked up some stuff that the vendors did not want to take home for a good price.

Hope this helps,

dc

NewFlyTier Im tying buzzers right now really easy and brill to catch fish on only takes about a week to get the hang of it :D

When it comes for materials for tying the Traditional / Classic Salmon Flies trying to get "cheap" materials will only lead you down the path of severe frustration. It literally pays to buy the best that you can, nothing is more frustrating than trying to tie flies with second rate materials.

Well maybe a visit from the in-laws could be as frustrating but that is a whole other topic. :D