Fly Tying
Don Stracener

Your Invention Swap

I've fiished nine of mine. Finished six of the original one I was going to tie, then ran out of brown dubbing. It was bound to happen dubbbing a size 8 4xl streamer hook. So I started to tie a thunder creek pattern, finished nine before I ran out of small mylar tubing.

I'm going to pick some up when I'm at LL Bean on Monday.

I've fiished nine of mine. Finished six of the original one I was going to tie, then ran out of brown dubbing. It was bound to happen dubbbing a size 8 4xl streamer hook. So I started to tie a thunder creek pattern, finished nine before I ran out of small mylar tubing

So Dan it's a surprise which one we'll get. :dunno:

I bet they are both great.

I sent the address on a PM for when your done.

I tied a couple different patterns too. We'll take a vote, you guys want lake flies or river?

I'm switching gears with mine... just don't like what I was doing... it took me way too long to tie each one, and it didn't work out on the water like I thought it would.

Oh well. Warned you that I'm a newbie.

Mine will be a downsized (but large profile) streamer that you'll be able to pitch out with a light rod no problem. That'll solve the problem of being on the crick without your 6 wt. and wanting to get a big one's attention with something a little showy.

These'll tie up much faster than what I was doing. Major "invention" is, I guess, making a small (but effective!) streamer. The materials I combined for the body turned out neat, too. I think you'll like 'em... should work for trout or bass. Even bluegill. Will finish 'em up and put them in the mail by the end of next week.

And hey... that egg sucking leech looks fantastic. Really cool "egg."

I need an address please.

These are Sowbugs. I use brown audio tape for the backing, dead orange dubbing, black ultra-wire, lead wire and orange thread. Really buggy looking flies and I catch the crap out of trout on them.

I like the audio tape for backing and haven't heard of anyone else using it ever.... so this is where my invention comes from.

Looking forward to getting new flies for lots of ideas. :headbang:

My flies are done and will be mailed out on Friday morning. I don't know what to call this "thing" and would like some suggestions. A friend left me glue sticks and a glue gun when she moved out of town. I have had a lot of fun playing with glue over the last year and find it an intersting medium. It is a variation of the wooly bugger which is a variation of the wooly worm and I am sure that someone else has probably already invented this. Name suggestions are welcome!

I have fished this fly with good results on the Kenai river in Alaska during September/October. I use some weight about two feet or so from the fly and let it bounce on the bottom as I drift. The flie floats above the weight and as the weight drags across the rough bottom the fly bobbs and girates. It's kind of cool to watch in clear water.

I also need a address and if you could directions as to what i need to do. This is my first swap and i want to get everything right..I don't know what my fly is either..kinda a Number 10 Caddis.. I have used it with very good results in The Salmon River in Pulaski for Steelhead...but have also caught some very nice Trout with it in the Smokies..Gold Bead head, Peacock Collar and Shell back and Braided Core Peal White body... Guess i cheated as it is a simple tie.. but was at a loss as to what to tie...Hope it's all right...

Mine is a simple tie, too, but I think people will like it. If anybody feels cheated by it, let me know and I'll take care of ya.

My original idea for this was a royal trude ... but instead of a tail I wrapped red floss over gold tinsel most of the way down the bend of the hook and then the floss back up, with the tinsel wound up in reverse to keep the floss from fraying too much. I thought it would drift down like a dry and be able to be pulled back in like a streamer, then false casted a few times to dry it and repeat the action.

Good idea!

Just. Didn't. Work.

(and was very fussy to build... wrapping the floss down was a royal pain)

I love it. :yahoo: :yahoo:

You guys are making some great ties. Can't wait to see them all together.

That Orb Bugger is something else.

I'm sure all the flies will be fantastic.