Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BadKarma

Need recommendations on 1st book.

OK all, heres my first question:

I am new to tying and I need your opinion on what my first book should be. I need a good balence between techniques and fly recipes. Who are the reputable authors to look for?

The water I fish is in SW Missouri (Lake Taneycomo). I also chase panfish in the spring and summer.

There are so many books out there, its hard to know which one would serve me best.

Thanks,

BadKarma

It kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. My first book was "The Art of Fly Tying" I think I paid about 22.00 for it. It contains all of the techniques that you need to tie almost anything. It takes you step by step through 6 fly's one in each catagory, Streamer, wet,dry, nymphs, terrestrials,and even hair bugs. It also gives Patterns in each catagory over 200 in the book.

Later I bought "The Orvis Fly Tying Guide" for about 45.00 it basically is the first book only on a larger scale, it contains patterns for the entire catalog of fly's Orvis carrys, it contains some techniques in the getting started section and many more if you go through the step by steps of which there are many. This book helps out with material selection and overall is a much more in-depth book, but I still pull out the first one occasionally because the techniques are all in one place and easy to find. If I haven't done something in quite a while I'll pull it out and get a quick re-fresher. I'd also like to give you this bit of info. Books are a great reference get one and learn the basic techniques enough to get the idea but then search out a knowledgeable tyer and you'll learn all of the little things that the books didn't teach you. You can't beat experience , Bass pro and Gander Mt. both have free tying classes if you have one close, but the best thing to do would be to look for tying group in your area, or start one! I'm sure there are other people on this site from your area. Good Luck, Eric

I'm not a pro in tying, just bit over a year. I found that the headbang.gif The Fly Tyer's Benchside Reference headbang.gif is the best book for any technique you can imagine. It does not have any patterns, but it has over 3,000 color pictures bugeyes.gif of tying techniques and very good instructions for EACH picture. This book improved my fly tying by far the most. If I ever want to tie something new I just look at the book for technique you need for each step. This book is going to run you about $70 on Ebay, $100 at a book store, FREE with a paid subscription to one of the fly fishing magazines published or sold by Amoto (sp?) books (No affiliation).

Good luck,

Mozes

I'll second "The Art of Tying Flies". Same as Eric it was my first book and at $20.00 it's a bargain. Another good book to start off with is Fly tying made clear and simple by Skip Morris. I don't recall the price for the Skip Morris book but I'm sure it was under $30.00. There are some books out there that will cover a little more but IMO if you're just starting out there is no need to spend $70 to $100. Tie for a while and make sure you're going to stick with it before buying the more expensive books.

My 2 cents

Jim

The Art of Fly Tying is a great book that I picked up at K-Mart.

When buying a fly tying book, especially when first starting this adventure, choose a book that provides as many color photos as possible. Afterall, who can visualize "ensure your bobbin is out of the way when you tease fibers with your bodkin"......okaaaaay.

Another medium is videos, or better yet, DVDs. I tie salt water flies and bought a few videos by Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, and some locals up in the NorthEast. Check your local shop and see if they have a video rental program where you can see if you REALLY want to shell out the $20-40 per video. They are great the first, second, 12th time and serve as a great refresher.

While at your fly shop, see if they are hosting any tying fairs or setting up a how-to school. It's the best business they can have during the winter, for it gets folks in the shop and thins out their material stock. I attended two up in Newport, RI and left better informed (I still have these flies in a box that will never be taken to the water).

The last resort is to hold a large piece of cardboard on the road side that reads "HELP ME TIE FLIES." That would be a great AVATAR!

A very hard question to consider. I think perhaps 2 books.

I would consider Production Tying by A. K. Bset. John Geirach (sp) in the forward said the book would be more aptly titled pruductive fly tying. It has all the techniques broken downinto steps to build nearly any type and style of fly.

The other book a pattern recipie book for the fish most often pursued.

My biggest problemback when learning to tie was methods not patterns.

Also if possible get into a class.

Irish

There are two names conspicuously absent from this list:

Randall Kauffman

Dick Talleur

Both of these gentlemen have several fine titles to choose from and at various levels of fly tying ability. They also have excellent color photos, many in stepwise fashion with the patterns being tied.

Based on your question get Skip Morris's Fly Tying made clear and simple. Great starter book as it takes you through each pattern step by step.

As far as different methods go The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference is excellent.

But even as the books go take a class!!!!!! Every book in the world can help you but even one class where an instructor shows you how is perfect. You take the hands approach of the class and apply it along with the book and it not only makes it easier but when you have an instructor their you can ask anything.

Go through Skips book and if there's something that bugs you or you can't seem to figure it out write it down and when you're in a class ask about it, Skip writes in an excellent manner for new tyers but someone will always have a question.

Hope this helps,

Fatman

I third The Art of Fly Tying spiral bound.

But a good class will make Technique books obsolete.

Video is good if you can rent one.

gotta go with the "Art of Fly Tying".....great insight for the beginner..tells breif history of the types of flies and has fabulous step by step full color photos for each style....pattern index in the back...great for the beginner....was my first book....

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I took a Introductory class at a local Fly shop. They were very helpful and they said that if we had any questions we could stop by and they would help us.

Will be shopping for a vise and all the tools next week. Just the basics to get me started.

Thanks for all the help.

BadKarma