Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Furled Leader Swap

Re-opening the furled leader swap, here's the deal.

6 plus the meister.

6 leaders due in meister's hands by June 15.

Tag each leader with your jig layout measurements, number of loops in each section, and material used, for those who may want to duplicate the leader.

Swapmeister - Deeky

1. Fry Flier - received

2. tdeyette - received

3. baitwaister

Not sure? - check out the Hatches article.

6 new furled leaders should be enough to keep you fishing for years, so join up.

If we know what type of fish we are targeting we can design a leader for some particular species. For example if we are all going trout 6/0 uni is good or light mono. If someone wants to target panfish a 8/0 uni or .004 nylon might be the ticket, someone wants to go for the larger game fish someone might want to try 6# fluorocarbon. The choice is yours and it is great being able to target your leaders for length, wieght, colour,sink or float. I have been furling a bit of everything here so I will pick a leader that someone wants someone else to tie. Might try a mono no stretch with a braided line re-enforcement.

All right, let's go with this one. Read the Hatches article and jump on board. They are cheap to do and take less time than some of the flies I have done for swaps (I'm a slow tyer, but the leaders are quick to do). Any more takers?

Adirondack

Furled basically means twisted. If your leader ever gets a lot of twists in it, it doubles over and twists on itself. That is furling. With leaders, we just get a little fancier about it. Read the article in Hatches and you'll be ready to do your own. In my opinion, much better than knotted leaders.

All right gents,

What do you want to do with this one? 4 tyers so far, and it's gone slow. Close it making 3 each and go as we are? Anyone else want to jump in? Let me know what you think.

Deeky

..... Not many takers ... :dunno:

There must be some more furled leader makers on the board ....

Up to you Deeky...

I'll furl up as many as need be....

Tom

Alright let us see what we are up to, I think I will go with a 14-12-10-8-6 taper.

The leader will be furled to a 6' length with .004 nylon. The ends will be tied with shorb loops

so as to allow for a loop to loop connection to the flyline. I will suggest a 6-8 pound shock tippet of 8" to the smaller tip loop and then your tippet of choice 2x-7x at a length of 24"-60" which every you and your conditions

will allow you to work effectively

post-3271-1148496346_thumb.jpg

We are still rolling with this one. And we'll close it as is, everyone else will miss out. 4 tyers, send 3 of your leader with all the instructions for duplication. Due June 15th, but if I get them earlier, obviously you'll get them back earlier.

Deeky