Fly Tying

Hey Rustyspinner, Man, thats a GREAT looking scorpion, I love it, it looks real scary. Great stuff!!!

Hey Ulf, wow, that sure is a huge collection of scorpion pics, thanks.

Graham

Rustyspinner, I remeber seeing your scorpion a while back and thought it was great, I still like it very much! Great work!

Ulf

I'm working on one. Scraped 2 trys and just finished up bending and tying together a new hook (3 hooks total to make the one)

Alot of thought process on applying materials goes into a Scorpion after looking at the link pic's.

I'm leaning on doing the yellow Scorpion.

I'll take step by step photos.

Brent

Thanks for the excellent picture links!

I'm sure it will come out :P LoL! I won't be entering it in the contest. The contest flies are not supposed to be posted on the web prior to the contest ending. I'm not much of a Scorpion fan, just wanna get in on the fun of this one.

Brent

Graham, your scorp is lookin pretty sweet. Rusty, great tye man.. I'm tryin to piece one of these together aswell .. helps to see others ideas an stuff.. i will post some pics up when I get there.. ;)

I have three hours into this beast already, and its only 1/3 done.. I hope to get more legs on it after dinner, it looks cool in the vise...

post-992-1147658164_thumb.jpg

Oh man, those legs look fantastic! Very alive!!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Though you should be out practicing your pike fishing instead buddy, LOL!!!! :P

I did the tail on mine yesterday but when I was bending the hook against my tying desk the hook broke and the tail flew and landed.... somewhere! I spent an hour looking for it but it's gone!!!! One hours work for nothing....

Ulf

Here's how it looked, still haven't found it, LOL! I was planning on starting over anyhow, this one looks nice but needs better proportions and a different stinger. I am experimenting with something called "Rainy's float foam" and so far it works very well! Will update as soon as I have something new to show. I am getting ready for my first big brownie trip of the season and am leaving on thursday so probably no tying until I get back.

This challenge really got my realistic juices flowing again! :)

/Ulf

post-2830-1147713815_thumb.jpg

Graham,

I like the looks of your scorpion, looking very realistic.

Uff,

thanks for the kind words, your tail is looking good also.

Can't wait to see everyone's finished products.

Rusty

Thanks Rustyspinner, I've taken my scorpion out of the vise, needs a bit more touch up coloring, and leg positioning, but I think it looks cool. I kind of deviated away from realism while making the claws, the tips should be straight and thin, but I like e'm curved and a bit fatter, makes it look meaner...LOL...

post-992-1147745442_thumb.jpg

Thanks Redwings1, I put some time and effort into this one, learned a few things that would make the second one better. I just took another picture before the sun went down. Now I need to find a nice place to keep it...

Graham

post-992-1147746578_thumb.jpg