Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Philly - My Deepest Apologies

Philly,

I would like to apologize that the flies you sent did not make it into the contest. I just got home and seen that I took pics of all the flies you submitted but somehow they did not make it into the contest. I had considered deleting all the votes from the contest and starting over but I talked to a few people who already voted and they said they had discussed what they voted for with other members who has already voted and gave away what flies they tied. The people that I spoke with said they felt the results would be different because of the information that had been shared already. All I can do is apologize and send your flies back to you and hope you do not hold this mistake against me because it is a great set of flies and would have done well in the contest. I did my best to make this contest something great but I did you and all the members an injustice by not including this great set of flies. Once again I'm sorry sad.gif . Here is the set of flies that we all missed out on:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...0f1955caa54.jpg

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...0f1934704ed.jpg

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...0f1923ad584.jpg

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...0f19183112c.jpg

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...0f194200028.jpg

Very nice flies Philly, I like the quality of your ties. I can see the effort you have put into them. Your emerger is very clean and perfect semitry. I like the design of you irredesent beetle. Is that your own inovation?

Will, this kind of put you between a rock and a hard place. I do not Know if Philly feels the way I do but if I had won I could care less about a prize it is more about having our flys on your site and seeing all the cool flys that others put out there.

:thumbsup:Keep up the good work Will

I agree w/ HFT it was more about just seeing some other flies and what other people do with their free time. Philly there are some nice flies there . love the beatle

I will leave this up to you guys, the first people I talked to said the voting would not be the same due to sharing information after voting and now I hear it would be a good thing to reset. Man I really F**KED this one up big time.

I think it would be fair to get Philly's flies into the contest. I think we all can be objective enough to fairly judge the new additions without any bias.

My 2 cents worth...

Let me just put an end to this. Will and I discussed this off line. Since the ID of the tyer was suppose be unknown it would not be fair to the other tyers in the contest. I'll withdraw my flies from the contest. I just asked Will to see if he could get them on the tying gallery, so I could eventually add tying instructions.

Let me just answer a couple questions people asked about the flies.

The emerger is based on a pattern called a Quigley Cripple. I've changed all the materials that were in the one shown to me and adapted it to fishing here in the NE.

The beetle is a popper. That was to be a smallmouth bass pattern. Again, not an original pattern, but one of Harry Steeves newer creations. I believe he calls it a Chili. I modified the pattern slightly using tinsel chenille rather than sili skin in one part. Also, I made the foam myself.

We've had an ongoing discussion about using sili-skin. The second fly is how I tie my sili-skin minnow patterns. That was a salt water entry, and should pass for a silverside.

You're a good sport, Philly headbang.gif

Unfortunate indeed. Smallie has been beating himself up pretty bad for this oversight. I thought your patterns were awesome and another great contribution to the site.

Thanks smile.gif

Good sport indeed. I could have been objective if need be but however you fellas work this out is fine with me.

I like the emerger pattern a lot. It would have been nice to have another subsurface fly to choose from. I can't remember which fly I voted for, but that little emerger would have made the choice tougher than it already was.

Will, when do you think we might be able to check out the flies again after voting? No hurry, you've worked hard enough already. I just wish I hadn't voted so quickly and I wnat to admire the flies again. - Adam

Philly, you're a good guy, no doubt. Someday we'll all get together, hoist a few brews and beat the crap out of Smallie. smoke.gif

Philly, you're a good sport. I am looking forward to the recipes!

Troutbum- I know a couple good ole' boyz in GA who're 'bout set to saw off your puny peninsula and let it float away ohmy.gif - mebbe ole' Fidel could use a few new acres of stompin' ground after all these years!!! rolleyes.gif