Fly Tying
colbyjack

sunset pic

Nice shots. This post reminds me of one Smalliehunter gave helpful tips on recently. So, I have question, which will show what a rookie I am...

Is a "graduated neutral density filter" the same thing as a "split neautral density filter"?

I picked up a 3-stop ND filter from my local camera store a couple of days ago, and realized it really wasn't exactly what I needed. The one I have is even gray color across the entire filter, probably good for shooting pics in the snow... LOL... The local forcast for today is a high of 114 in the valley, insane heat. Too hot to even venture out for a sunset shot...lol...

Is a "graduated neutral density filter" the same thing as a "split neautral density filter"?

The two terms seem to be interchangeable. One way to approach the situation is to get a 1-stop graduated ND, a 2-stop and a 4-stop. By stacking them, you can cover all permutations and combinations up to 7 stops of light. The only potential problem with stacking is that you can get vignetting with wide-angle lenses.

John

Thank you John.

I read last night about a number of good uses for the 3-stop filter I have. For example, allowing for desired decreased depth of field, in bright conditions, without increasing the shutter speed, as well as a number of DOF solutions with telephoto lenses when the meter says overexposure for the desired f-stop and shutter speed. I think filters will help me to use my camera in full manual mode, while hopefully get the desired results.

For example, the airplane pic below I took yesterday, and wanted the background with a smooth bokeh, out of focus, but without the filter the pic would have been over exposed. Next time I'll get the shot I want.

post-992-1153684129_thumb.jpg

Hey John,

One thing I just learned minutes ago, something that was screwing me up, is that when I press the depth of field preview button on the D200, I need to ignore how light or dark the scene is, and to only look at the DOF. I thought a dark looking scene through the lens when previewing meant the pic would be dark. I didn't realize that the camera is only closing the shutter to the set f-stop. I guess doing a dof preview to get the desired dof is helpful, but taking a pic and looking at it on the LCD is the only way to see a final exposure. I'll probably look like a chimp in the field, constantly having to check my pics before taking another shot...lol...

The two terms mean the same thing. A graduated filter is usually square and comes with a holder to fit in front of your lens. This is so you can slide the filter up or down to get the graduation set just right on the horizon. With a round filter that screws on your lens you are limited to splitting the photo in half with the horizon line running right through the center.

There are several photoshop tricks that will have a simular effect to using a graduated filter, but they are not always as effective. The tricks can't bring back detail that isn't there if there is a huge exposure difference. Good use of a filter really pops the sky. You can also sometimes use it to knock glare off of water in the foreground of a picture if you don't mind the rest of the foreground being a bit darker.