Fly Tying
Mustang Mike

Limited tying space

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to best utilize the limited space I have available for tying. I'm stuck with using my workbench, in my garage. (NO, my wife WON'T let me tie in the house, so THAT idea is out!) :wallbash:

I have a 28" wide by 16" deep space on the bench and some peg board space behind that for hanging materials.

So far, I've not been too crowded, but I'm still fairly new at this and as I have seen pics of some of the members tying tables, benches, rooms, etc, I'm sure that I will accumulate more "stuff" as I progress in this new addiction! I'd love to find a way to organize the space most effectively. I guess what's even more important is that if you folks have any ideas, I need detailed plans/instructions. I'm not one for having an original idea myself, but I follow direction very well. (just ask my wife!) <_<

Thanks gang!

That space should be plenty Mike as long as you just take out the materials that you are going to use on any given pattern adn then replace them when done. I would recommend only hanging full synthetic materials on the pegboard as you are outside. For the real feathers and furs I would get a few stackable plastic storage bins with tiht lids that you can drop a few mothballs in to keep the bugs away and slide under the bench.

Lose the wife & kids you got plenty of room :hyst:

Use the peg board for tools, synthetics and threads and get some plastic tupperware type storage boxes for your furs and feathers that you can store over/under your bench.

post-4351-1154063653_thumb.jpgI dont have much room either, here is a pict of my small bench, hope ya can get a few ideas from it!!

Lose the wife & kids you got plenty of room

You know... sometimes ... nah, there has to be a better way. I lose them, I'll probably be tying from my tiny one bedroom apartment kitchen/dining room/living room table!! :thumbsdown:

I got a kick out of the suggestions to put fur and feathers in storage boxes and put them under or over the desk. Nice thought, but where?? THAT room is taken by reloading supplies and equpiment that has no other place to be stored in the garage!! :gunsmilie: I did end up using a couple of storage boxes for fur and feathers and even found a way to make room for them.

I did some reorganizing last night and gained about 1 1/2 square foot of space! :clapping: I am going to make a thread rack (or rather tower) based on the design of a thread holder my wife has for her sewing thread (and NO, I'm not going to steal hers' when she isn't looking!!

I'll try to send a pic of this work in progress when I get everything sorted out a bit more. None the less, thanks for the suggestions!! :rockon:

There was a plan for a thread rack-flash material rack in the last Hatches, check it out and see if that will work for you.

Thanks! I saw the plans for that thread rack! I don't have that much flash material right now and even though I really liked the design of it, the thread "tower" my wife has is pretty effective!! :D

When I get mine made, I'll try to take some pix and share it with the group!

Thanks for the pic, flytime. I've seen a couple of benches and organizational pics on this site and they really help a newbie like me out.

Lighting, magnification and working against a light colored background are big factors for me. Not so important with the big patterns but I know eyestrain will be a factor with the fancy work, any suggestions. So far I don't have a light or Mag and I just put a white piece of paper under my vice! Any one that wants to show off their workstations could put in some pics for me!

You would laugh if you could see where I keep my stuff. Expandable zipper binder, vice and bobbins in a big pencil case, cards of yarn in plastic hockey card sheets and feathers in ziploc baggies. That has got to change!!

Yeah, that thing was built outta some scrap, Im working on one now that will fit on top of that one that has a little more organization to it, and a little nicer lookin!!

I tie on a tray table in my living room. All my stuff is kept in stackable containers that I push into the corner when I'm not using them. This way I can tie and spend time with the family in the evening. Between flies I can stretch out on the couch. Hope this helps some other folks that are struggling with space issues.

Mike

Good idea, Mike. I do have a med. sized wood topped desk/metal base with wheels that I can keep in my bedroom and wheel it out to the livingroom to tie on. I will have to navigate between two cats and my dog to get there but it will work great. Thanks for the idea.

""I am going to make a thread rack (or rather tower) based on the design of a thread holder my wife has for her sewing thread (and NO, I'm not going to steal hers' when she isn't looking!!""

Let me ask does she get to sew in the house??

My 1 car garage is wall to wall stuff as well, but I bet you can shake out some room for a couple of bins.

First hint I would give would be to get the plastic bins that hanging file folders can be set in. Get three... one for feathers, one for furs and one for other materials. You'll be very happy with it... very easy to find and pull out materials.

Second hint: I just spotted the one place in my garage where I still have some storage room... on the wall directly above the garage door! I'm now planning on putting a rack or shelf up there that I can slide seldom-used bins of stuff into. Look into it.