Fly Tying
Mustang Mike

Hook size for fishing

Thus far, most of the flies I've been tying have been sizes 12 – 16. and mostly Tiemco 100, 5210, or Tiemco 2487 (or 88.)

I’ve been somewhat surprised to read of some dry flies being tied on sizes 10, 8, or even 6. :blink: Man, that just seems fairly large to me!!

Could it be that I started fly fishing with size 18 – 22 midges that when I see a fly over size 12, I look at it as though it should be used for salt water fishing??

What’s the opinion / advise from those of you who are much more educated??

Big dry's like stone flys, damsel/dragon flys, bombers, hoppers, chernobyl ants, wulfs, . mice you name it any thing that is not a tiny dry that has to float

Great point Joe, and well taken! If I were to tie a mouse, hopper, or crawfish I'm pretty sure it would be larger in size. I guess I should clarify further ...

I'm referring to larger size elk or deer hair caddis's, Royal Wulffs, BWO, etc.

Thanks again!

Hi Mike. Well I guess the question is; How big is the thing I'm trying to imitate?

It would be pretty pointless using a size 30 hook to represent a Green Drake Mayfly (Ephemera Danica) as the body alone is about an inch long. Maybe a chance to use a size 6 Adams, Light Hendrickson or Wulff here?

Likewise it would be unreasonable to use a size 18 to represent a Great Red Sedge/Caddis (Phrygania Grandis) as in total they measure 1 1/2 inches. Probably better to use a size 8 Elk hair caddis?

With most imitations there is a general rule and that is: The imitation should be one or two sizes either side of the size of the natural. Sometimes only a fly of the same size as the natural will work. Sometimes it's only when your fly stands out from (bigger or smaller than) the crowd that the fish takes an interest. It's pretty much a case of experimentation on the day but it's always worth having killer patterns in a variety of sizes. As Joe points out, big critters need big hooks, or possibly detached bodies. :)

Could it be that I started fly fishing with size 18 – 22 midges that when I see a fly over size 12, I look at it as though it should be used for salt water fishing??

Yep, it could well be just that. As you're not used to larger flies they seem alien to your style of fishing. Nevertheless there is a place for them.

Hope this helps.

I guess the best thing I could do is study entomology a little more when I am out in the wilds! :(

I just don't recall seeing too many large mayflys or caddis flies! :blink:

Size matters!... But generally 12-18 are the most common, as they match many aquatic insects trout eat. Also smaller is often better than larger.

The right size and general color trigger the almost-instinctive "eat reflex" of trout. This past week I was fishing in fast water in Pittsburg NH (probably best summer trout fishing in Northeast US in August). I watched in disgust as a rather big rainbow trout repeatedly nudged my fly -- A #12 Royal Wulff-- for probably 10 or 15 casts, but no take. Frustrating to watch him come up from the depths of a pool, nudge the fly, and turn and descend.

Unfortunately I had no more #14 or #16 with me (all now dwelling in the alder trees along the river...). In the past I would have tied on one size smaller and the refusals would have become hook ups.

I tried a #14 Elk Hair Caddis, but not even a rise. I suspect the color was too light (The body of a Royal Wulff is relatively dark when wet, against the sky, the white Wulff wings are not in contact with the water so are less visible, unlike the tan caddis wings which are)

So I tried some black stonefly concoction I had in a size #14 (same dark color in one size smaller). Bang! Rainbow came right up from the depths and took the fly. (Of course just before I landed him he shook off -- barbless hook) Size matters!

Get an emtomology book for fly fishers with pictures and a size gauge. Keep a variety of sizes of your favorite flies, in the same size as the naturals and a size smaller. Watch the fly on the water using polarized glasses. If the fly is refused (fish comes up and spurns your delicious offering), or nudged, or splashed, put on a smaller fly (one size) and cast to the same place (upstream of course so it draglessly drifts back to your piscine friend).

Tight lines

-E

Hi Mike,

For years Gretchen and I have served several customers who ordered size #2 & #4 Royal Wulffs. Two of them fish the Henry's Fork/Lake area. Finally we just had to try those big dries. There are time they can be very productive. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I'll add a late response, but worth considering. A few years ago I stocked up on flies (tied & purchased) which were commonly used on a river in the Northern Sierras. All of the flies were 12-14 and smaller. After hiking 19 miles in - and knowing we would be there for 5 days - we were a little dismayed that the fish LOVED big flies - anything big & bushy. They still ate the "standard" size patterns, but they went absolutely crazy for big bushy flies up to 2"! There's nothig like seeing a 2" fly inhaled in a big splash and jerking out a 5" fish. :lol: The surprise of all of this was that we saw very few large insects. After this experience I think it pays to have few larger than normal flies in your trout box.

I would like to say that on the small river I fish sometimes the fish don't get much over 10". I can throw a size 12 or sometimes a 10 and get better results then the 18's and 20's I kept tossing at them.

Last time I went they wouldn't go for anything in the smaller files. Threw a Size 12 bushy humpy out there and I was in business! Maybe they thought it was one of the big flying ants I saw?

Sometimes I don't think hook size matters too much. For instance, last year I lost a Rainbow that would've gone 18"-19" easy at the boat, and it hit a #10 Copper John in a copper color.

I'd have a few giant nymphs in the box just in case. If they're not hitting on the small stuff, why not throw something big?

And with big dries, you could also use those as an indicator and have a nymph as a dropper. They won't be as shy with a big dry as with an indicator, plus you get the bonus of having 2 flies in the water.

I read an article in Fly Rod and Reel in their Brook Trout edition, where the author caught his biggest Brookie ever (around 8 pounds if I remember right) in Labrador on a #2 Royal Wulff.