Fly Tying
WYKnot

Rubber Legs

I have been adding rubber legs to some of the Stimulators and Humpys I tie, a quick version of a hopper this time of year. Same with larger sized nymphs, going for a little more action in the water. I don't know if it makes much difference to the trout.

So, anyone else tried legs to one of your "regular" patterns?

I also like to add a little rubber to different flies. Mostly on buggy nymphs though -- sized 8 and up I suppose -- but on big hoppers they can help too. Never thought about them on a humpy before.

Bass love 'em -- try some on your crayfish patterns. They really add movement and make anything feel more "buggy."

Rubber legs sure add lots of movement to flies, and an addition to drys, I think gives a better silhouette and helps the fly float better in the water. If you can put them on a fly, go for it!!

cutting apart Bungee cords is the cheapest way to get legs that I know of....I've never tried to dye them, but I've heard success stories. The few times I've gone this route, I use one (or more) of a billion colors that 'Sharpie' has to offer.....

Enrico Puglisi has some new prewrapped dubbung loops that use rubber legs mixed in already. It makes a bugger look even better.

Jimmy (Madkassel's son) feels that when you put rubber legs on you put them a little crooked on the fly. He sets them about 30 degrees to the shank. Says the bug moves sideways when you retrieve. Not a bad thought process for an 8 year old!! Works for him.

later

Fred

Jimmy (Madkassel's son) feels that when you put rubber legs on you put them a little crooked on the fly. He sets them about 30 degrees to the shank. Says the bug moves sideways when you retrieve. Not a bad thought process for an 8 year old!! Works for him.

later

Fred

Yup. His very own invention. Calls them "Jimmy's Twisters" and will be tying them up for the ongoing kid's swap. Short marabou tail, flashy chenille body and three rubber legs tied across the top at an angle. When he twitches it through the water, the fly rotates about 45 degrees and then comes back to facing you. That twisting action drives the gills nuts!

I have used rubber legs on everyting! A hares ear or pheasant tail with tan legs is killer. Also, My favorite panfish fly is a size 12 nymph hook, with 8 legs sticking out at different places along the shank. I guess it looks like a spider...