Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

Do you like your bench?

Mine is a sewing table. I have a lapbench that I use if I know for sure whats gonna get tied, and I can just throw what i need on the couch, bed, or whereever it is that Im sitting. But I was just curious. Seems a few of you have awesome set ups, and others like me are limited and wanting more space to build a nice bench.

I love mine, but I could use some more surface area. I dont have room to set out my capes, and my pieces of hair and such on my desk without puching something onto the floor..........Why is it always my box of #22 dry fly hooks :dunno:

post-4351-1156534413_thumb.jpgHere is mine, not as big as I want it to be, but Im workin on another that will be finished soon, this one works fine for now, it was thrown togeather in a haste one night out of some scraps I had laying around.

Here's mine, which I like a lot. Just a piece of laminate hinged to the wall in my shop.

What I really want is a new chair... cool old height adjustable bar stool with a back.

IPB Image

What bno room to set one untilench? I've got no room until one or the other of my daughters gets ajob and moves out...they are in their 20s, so I'm hoping...these days I tie sitting on my bed (only available space) using a portable set up...

Mark Delaney

I hate my tying desk. All I have is an old TV dinner tray, like the wooden ones. Very un-sturdy, very small, I hate it. I hope to build a nice big one soon, or use my computer desk.

Mark I'm in the somewhat of the same situation as you. I have 2 sons and until one of them moves out we don't have a spare room. However my wife was nice enough to give me corner of our bedroom. She has an ulterior motive though because she fly fishes as well and I'm her source for flies.

I've got a cheap desk set up there. My wife bought me one of those wooden fly tying portable desks with the drawers and holes for tools. I have this set on top of the desk. It works amazingly well. I have some of those cheap rubbermaid plastic drawers for feathers, hooks, etc. Overall I'm pretty pleased. But when one the kids moves out we plan to convert his bedroom to a den with a tying area.

Greg

Mine is a computer desk with one shelf. I added another shelf. Right next to ,and butted up-to, it is another, fancier computer "L" shaped desk (actually for the 'puter). At the other end of the tying desk is a microwave cart with 2 shelves. Also have thread rack and very large cork board mounted on the wall.

Tying desks are a lot like cars, you're always tweaking them

Lots of surface space, but could always use more.

I wasn't going to be happy until I custom built one to fit my needs.

Here's what I came up with.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Caddisfly

That's funny chasecreek. I've got a while to wait though. Our oldest son is 18 and a senior in High School. I think he's going to go to college here in town and stay home. So at least 5 more years there. Oh well.

Caddis fly that is one impressive desk. I like the way you made it a roll top. You built that yourself? I wish I had that skill.

Greg

Yup I love mine. Easy to find materials and lots of surface area which is a huge plus. It wasn't always like this though. I tied for a good number of years on a 20" x 16" fold up snack TV tray. Then one year I just got sick of it and decided to make a dedicated area for tying.

IPB Image