Fly Tying
Nick Reiniche

stuff for bluegill flies

WOOLLY BUGGERS!!! If it eats, it'll eat a woolly bugger. Might want to tie a short tail, though. Bluegill are nibblers. Or maybe try Arctic fox fur for a tail? That might be a bit more durable.

Try tying a big white nymph or scud pattern with a cream head, too, in the #10-#12 range. I had incredible luck on bluegills with Wax Worms as a kid. I'd bet a fly like that would be a KILLER immiatation of a wax worm, therefore being an INCREDIBLE fly to fish with. Just add a bobber (I refuse to call 'em "Strike Indicators"; They were originally called bobbers, and I ain't skeered to call 'em what they are) and have some fun!

And make fun of 'em all you want about being stupid, there ain't a fish in fresh water that'll fight harder than a bluegill pound for pound! :flex: Trout, smallmouth, striper, whatever. I'd put a bluegill up against 'em all pound for pound.

If you like waxies, there is a fly that I picked up either here or TFF, but I can't remember where I saw it or who tied it.

The gist of it is cream antron tied in at the tail as a dubbing loop. Apply very sparse dubbing of similar color, twist, and wrap forward. This one was intended to imitate a caddis pupa, so the front end was peacock herl, but you could leave that off to keep it more like a waxie.

The original thread hada picture of a couple of these flies wet and beside a live caddis pupa and the similarities were absolutely incredible. It was hard to tell the two apart without looking close.

Try it out. I haven't had a chance to fish mine yet.

Around here, any type of small hopper imitation works really well. We use these #16 cricket type flies and in the morning and evenings, they work wonders.

Wanna see a nice bluegill?

IPB Image

Good Day,

Nick, FYI, I don't remember there being a fly show in Jackson, but could be wrong. Our family has a cottage near Brooklyn. Knutsons has a decent fly tying area... at least enough to get you started. But then again if you are near Dundee...

Steelie

what about altering the jitterbee with hackle? I guess that would make it more of a colorfull wooley bugger, but hey, we're always reinventing, and rejuvenating patterns right?

I've tweaked the jitterbees by using Ice Dubbing and a pheasant hackle. I don't know what the specific feather is called, but the flies wind up looking like "spey" style jitterbees. By far my most successful bluegill pattern!

How on earth did I miss this thread??'

There are three flies I wouldn't be without in targeting Bluegills:

Hare's Ear Nymph (size 10, natural and Olive)

Zug Bug (size 10)

White Zonker (size 6)

You can certainly have success with other flies, and other sizes, but these have proven theselves for me time and time again.

I missed it to.

Hot flies this year.

An Orange Chernobyl Ant, size 6 or 8

Green Weenie, size 6 to 10.

Fluorescent Yellow Sneaky Pete style fly, size 6

Try this simple rubber band nymph. It works for most fish species including bluegill, trout, etc. Use a bent hook, cream colored rubberband. Decrease the tension on the rubberband as you wrap it forward. The thorax is fuzzy hare's ear dubbing brushed downward.

IPB Image

Have fun!

Mark

try these flies...

IPB Image

the red one is called a bloody butcher, and the orange one is called a orange asher.

materials:

bloody butcher:

hook: size 10 and smaller nymph hook

body: red floss

hackle: black hackle of any kind

orange asher:

hook: size 10 and smaller nymph hook

body: orange floss

hackle: grizzley hackle

they are pretty much the exact same fly but different colors... i have caught my biggest bluegills on these flies, they will not let you down...give 'em a try!

-sniksoh-