Fly Tying
Iowaflyguy

Dyeing question

I have a friend who is going steelheading and wants some egg sucking leeches in a hurry. I don't have any

purple hackle and even if I order from mad river outfitters I won't get it until Thursday. So I thought I would dye up some hackle I have on hand.

I have found that dyed feathers, i.e. marabou, tend to bleed when using very bright colors red and oranges

etc. These are commercial feathers (hareline) but can ruin a good fly. Does any one know a good way to "set"

the dye to avoid the bleeding. I probably need to buy the book but I can't get it today. The good thing is

that the whole fly except for the egg is purple so a little bleeding won't hurt too much. Any advice will be

appreciated and implemented immediately.

Thanks

Tom

Sorry no dyeing advice, but I know Walmart sells little fabric balls with a cardboard center in their craft section. This might make a good substitution.

If you do a search here you will find lots of helpfull information, search is in the header at right, ( blog help SEARCH members calender), near the top of the forum page.