Fly Tying
Lowsparked

Best thread for small dries?

i have been using the 70 uni thread but i just have this feeling that i am missing out on someting? how small is 12/0 and what are some good brands and is there smaller? thanks for all the help

I don't know about 12/0 but I do have two spools 14/0 that I got for midges from the sponsor of this site

Jstockard. I hope this helps.

-Tom

Good Day,

Gordon Griffiths makes a wonderful 14/0 thread in a few different colors and a 17/0 in white. Very strong threads for their size. Also the Uni is a great product as well. I think J. Stockard may stock both.

Steelie

I must second Steelie's recommendation for Gordon Griffiths 14/0. It ties very nicely with little bulk and seems just as strong as, say, Uni-Thread 8/0 but finer. I also think it displays less tendency to fray. I was so impressed I ended up buying every color available and plan to migrate all of my 8/0 and smaller requirements over to this thread.

It is a single ply thread made in England, lightly waxed, and comes in 100 meter spools. If you tie size 14 and smaller but particularly if you tie midges and other similar-sized flies, I highly recommend you try this stuff. I think you will be suitably impressed. I know I was.

-- Mike

First off, welcome to the site Lowsparked. The old thread thread :blink: seems to pop up every now and then, and really it boils down to personal preference, so my best advice would be to head to a shop that has a few different brands and check them out.

Ed Engle covers the subject in great detail in his book 'Tying Small Flies' and changed the way I look at thread. It has a great compare and contrast section devoted entirely to threads. When tying small the most important items I am looking for is strength and type; I like more of a floss as it lays flatter and so has less bulk both in wrapping the body and at the tie in points.

I tie a lot of micro flies ranging from size 22-32 I use Trico Uni 17/0. I order it direct from Uni Thread.It's a very fine floss type thread. It only comes in white, but you can't really see the wraps anyway. One thing about it is you have to use a high quality steel tube bobbin with it. Ceramic bobbins will not work because they isolate the point of friction and will not allow the friction heat to disperse down the length of the bobbin and will burn the 17/0 thread off within a couple turns.

Check our sponsor J Stockard. He sells the 17/0 Trico white Uni thread at his site.

IPB Image

IPB Image

i have been using the 70 uni thread but i just have this feeling that i am missing out on someting? how small is 12/0 and what are some good brands and is there smaller? thanks for all the help

The Bennicchi (sp?) is sold in a 12/0 size. This thread has the best spooling and strength/diameter that I've seen. It's also available in plenty of great shades. I would highly recommend it.

Aaron