Fly Tying
stony

Pike Swap

This swap is CLOSED, I did not tell stony he could host a swap!!! :j_k: :hyst: :lol:

Wish I could join this one, but Im gonna have to skip on it, I have a full plate now, but Stony, it looks like you are off to a great start on this one man, hope it turns out well!!!!! :headbang: Have Fun guys :headbang: :headbang:

Man Fly Time. You really had me there.

Thanks Eric

You can host swaps now

Good Luck

OSD.

I was thinking, I messaged OSD and he said it was cool.

Swap is still open. :ph34r:

I am debating on whether to close this one early. We need 3 more people but it doesn't seem to be filling up anymore.

I'll give it one more day and then I will close it and start with those we have in it.

Ok guys, this is my 1st attempt at a pike fly :headbang: so all comments are welcome and encouraged!

IPB Image

A few details...

Obviously this is a Black Rabbit Zonker strip, I've also added a few strips of black pearl flash, black bucktail, and a silver ribbing. All of that I'm pretty sure makes for a solid pattern.

A couple of questions...

This fly is weighted with some lead. Does it need weight or not? :dunno:

I've put a small loop of mono in behind the hook to prevent the tail from wrapping on the hook.

Do you think this is good or bad? :dunno:

The body is black chenile. Should I use dubbing instead for better durability? :dunno:

I'm as new as you can be to Pike pursuit and Pike flies, :baby: so help me out and then I'll get started tying. :blink:

Thanx a lot for the help!!

A couple of questions...

This fly is weighted with some lead. Does it need weight or not? :dunno:

Lead is fine. I didn't put any weight on mine except for the dumbell eyes. I wanted the weight to be forward.

I've put a small loop of mono in behind the hook to prevent the tail from wrapping on the hook.

Do you think this is good or bad? :dunno:

Sounds good to me. I should have done the same thing. I already have 6 of them done now.

The body is black chenile. Should I use dubbing instead for better durability? :dunno:

I would try some of that flash chenile since the body is so visible.

All in all, I think the fly looks pretty good. I read in your other post that it should have more color and I agree. Pike are attracted to bright colors. You also want alot of flash on it. Most of the waters around here that hold pike aren't the clearest around so you need some type of material that can be seen through muck.

I used a purple zonker strip, yellow bucktail, 20 strands of crystal flash, blue bucktail, olive marabou, red ribbing and red thread on mine. It's very colorful and I did catch that 30" pike with it.

IPB Image

It still looks good though and I know it would be deadly on Bass around here.

I did some research and found that a lot of people swear by black for Pike and that it seems to be the go to color on slow days. I think maybe the black body and zonker are enough and that a splash of really bright yellow or green bucktail may do the trick. I also like the black sparkle body idea. I'll come up with something.

The replies at my other post all said it was too small. :dunno:

Maybe I should move up to a bigger hook. <_< :dunno: :huh:

You are doing a great job on this one Eric, be patient and it will fill up, I hate it cause Im not in your first swap, but I have never even seen a pike, and I dont have very many big hooks. Keep up the good work bro!!! :headbang:

I am debating on whether to close this one early. We need 3 more people but it doesn't seem to be filling up anymore.

I'll give it one more day and then I will close it and start with those we have in it.

Ok, I lied about 1 more day. Just 3 more people and we can get started. I just bought some nice silver Gamakatsu's for this as I am switching up my pattern a bit.

3 more

3 more

3 more

Ok everybody, I just closed the swap down.

We have a total of 7 entrants so we will need to tie 6 flies each.

Good luck and have fun.

PM Sent.

Woohoo! It'll be nice to get these done early. It looks like winter is hitting us early around here. I know the pike are starting to fatten themselves up right now.

I just finished the flies for the NFL Clouser Minnow swap and I'm ready to get going on the flies for this swap. I was thinking of tying mine on a mustad S71S SS size 1/0 but I use a 9wt rod to toss them around.

If I went down in size to a 2 S71S SS, would that be OK with everyone? Stony?

BTW did you catch that pike over there on your side of the hills?