Fly Tying
stony

Pike Swap

Just received flyrod98's. Talk about unmanly. :hyst:

Almost there.

Just don't let your buddies see you tie it on :D Only let them see the pike you catch. :bugeyes:

Blah, I've never been one to care what people think. I went to the corner store last night in my PJ's.

I was looking at that fly and after the head, you have some stiff stuff that brings up the material, It gives it a bigger fatter profile towards the front before it tapers off towards the tail. How did you do that? I showed my wife and she thought it was awesome too.

I know it's probably simple but I am still a rookie.

Mine were mailed yesterday, probably hoovering somewhere mid-atlantic now...

Stony Wrote: "Blah, I've never been one to care what people think. I went to the corner store last night in my PJ's.

I was looking at that fly and after the head, you have some stiff stuff that brings up the material, It gives it a bigger fatter profile towards the front before it tapers off towards the tail. How did you do that? I showed my wife and she thought it was awesome too.

I know it's probably simple but I am still a rookie."

When I got into a Clouser swap a while back, I had tied a few the way I thought they were tied, but I bought the book Clouser’s Flies and promptly tore apart every thing I had tied. In the book he places the eyes about 1/3 the shank length back from the eye. On strip/pause you want the fly to glide and not nose dive like a jig. This gives you a lot of room in front of the eyes to tie in the deer tail and you don’t need to bind it down clear to the eyes, nor should you. This will leave a gap between deer tail and shank in front of the eyes when you take it over the top of the eyes. The Deep Minnow, Fur Strip Clouser and a lot of his other patterns use the same technique.

I use two bobbins when I tie them. He doesn't do it this way in his book, but I don't care how long it takes me to tie one either. I have one started behind the eyes and another in front of the eyes. Once I have the deer tail bound in front, I tie it off with a few hitches. Then I pull the deer tail over the eyes and take a loose wrap or two back toward the bend and then wrap with some pressure. The idea is to not bind the deer tail down tight behind the eyes. Try to leave a little gap behind the eyes too. When I finish them I epoxy over the eyes and the wraps of the head.

I highly recommend this book if you plan on tying a lot of them. The book has 17 different patterns shown.

Have mine made it there yet?

Nope, not yet. Do you have a tracking number of sorts so we can see where it is?

No tracking numbers available, but it takes between 6 and 10 days to get something over there so no reason to panic yet...

I hope mine did come in too........... they were shipped before DNA's flies.

I hope mine did come in too........... they were shipped before DNA's flies.

Yup, I have yours also.

Ok, 6 down, 1 to go.

1. Stony - Bunny Streamer Pattern - READY

2. flyrod98 - Unmanly Pink Bunny Clouser - RECEIVED

3. Worstcaster - Rubber Legged Bunny Bugger - RECEIVED

4. DNA - Pattern TBD - RECEIVED

5. Herman - Pattern TBD - RECEIVED

6. Mako - The PINK FLASHER (RED EYE SMELT) - RECEIVED

7. Big Todd - Pattern TBD

OK Stony, shoot me a PM with the Addy and I'll get 'em shipped to you ASAP.

BT, did I ever send you the addy? I could have sworn I did. I'll send it again.

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the delay. I was super busy at work and also went antelope hunting in eastern MT. I'll finish up tonight and get them mailed. I only have one left to finish. By the way I got my first antelope and I may have to post some pictures and brag a little. :headbang: Thanks for being patient!

Big Todd.

Hi Guys,... By the way I got my first antelope and I may have to post some pictures and brag a little. :headbang: Thanks for being patient!

Big Todd.

:headbang: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I remember my firts one , here, in quebec, canada ( white tail ) ... Wow !!!

OK Stony,

The flies are in the mail. Coming from Montana so it shouldn't take long for them to arrive. Sorry for taking so long and thanks for hosting. As you guys requested I added some color. Instead of all black they are black and pink. The solid black fly is an extra for you to try out. Have a good one!

BIG TODD