Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaUP

Renzitti Traveler

besides if the jaws are beat up you can get new jaws in the $20-30 range to me that should be the only part of a vise that gets beat up much. and if you have to get new jaws $130 is still less than i got mine. i didnt even have to convince the parents of getting it they just did since i helped with the landscape for like 3 weeks straight.

When I bought my Jaws I think I paid 65 on clearance

I would be a little leary of this vise, not that there is anything you can do to hurt a renzetti

I bet it's the old screw type jaws, check it out, if it's got two screws on the jaws instead of one screw and one lever, just stand warned

your gonna be doing more work everytime you change hooks

I bought my traveler when screw jaws was the only option, and it stills works incredibly well

but I did swtich to cam jaws eventualy and would never go back to the screw, event to save 60 bucks

I think of this as an investment, you'll have it forever if you take minimal care of it, and I really don't worry about the O-ring that people seem to freak about, they are a nickel at the hardware store, but I have not had any trouble with them

Pauly

P.S. they have announced a new presentation 2000 model that looks sweet, suggested retail 250, so I suspect it will retail between 200 and 225

just a thought, I don't see it on there website yet though

I wouldnt worry a bit about it even if it is the screw jaws. I bought my Renzetti about 12 yrs ago before the cam jaw model was out and have never had a problem with the screw jaw. Once you tie a number of flies on it you really dont even have to think about how to 'set the screws' for each hook size and you can adjust it without even thinking in just a matter of seconds. And honestly the only time I even mess with them is if theres a big change in hook size (dries to streamer hooks etc etc).

My O-ring broke about 3 yrs after buying the vise, but I didnt even bother with O-rings after that. Just put a rubber band around the back of the jaws and presto good as new. All the o-ring does is help to open the jaws when the pressure is released.