Fly Tying
bart

Fall Black and Whites

Thanks Graham - one good thing about using the neighborhood critters for models is that you don't have to pay them. (or talk them into signing releases either LOL)

the cat is striking peter. And the composition on that water shot in post #11 is great. I have been messing with my camera and no blk/wht. So i messed with the computer ( Not a real wiz at computers) and no luck, but i'll keep at it. Believe it or not my phone has blk/wht, but 1 MP.

post-5673-1162179990_thumb.jpgpost-5673-1162180118_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris - I'd been waiting for a cat to complete that composition for a while - they like to hang out there while they hunt for frogs, but I'd never been able to get one to hold still long enough - got lucky when the black one strolled over and sat down, just in time for Halloween - got a couple of decent silhouettes, and he flashed me a dirty look when I whistled - nothing as rare as a cooperative cat LOL - Chris, does your editing program have a B&W conversion method? My experience is limited to iPhoto and a trial version of Photoshop, so I'm pretty clueless, but I'd bet there's a way.

Bart, I suspect you might have been kidding, but you hit the nail right on the head - you absolutely have to see in B&W in order to make it work - about the only thing color and B&W photography have in common is that they both rely on light capture to create an image. They're as different as oil painting and lithography. Previsualization isn't as important when shooting color, since you're going to get pretty much what you see, but it's vital when shooting B&W. Just think of them as two different media and try to determine which way you want to go before you shoot. It takes time to learn, but with digital capture and today's editing programs, you have the means to experiment without spending a lot of money and countless hours in the darkroom. (You also can do without the zone system, although it pays to understand the basics of it) Also, studying the work of masters like Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, (check out his dunes pics) Andre Kertesz, et al can give you an idea of what to aim for as far as the technical end of it goes. Those guys all had one thing in common, despite their different styles - they all looked for good light, regardless of subject matter. And don't get discouraged, because it isn't easy. Hope this helps. BTW, I liked your mountain shot a lot. PJ

You are making me all misty eyed for the old days.....Call me sick, but I miss shooting B&W. Sure, I can do it all in Photoshop, but it's not the same as what Petejay describes. Sigh.

Sorry these are not all "fall pictures" Bart. but i was so excited that i finally got it figuared out.

I have to agree with beaverfsu. I used to love shooting a roll of B&W and Being excited to see the pictures that came out. its a little differant with the edit feature, but still neat! You can still look for compositions that lend themselves to B&W. thanks for bringin that back guys!

LOOKING UP

IPB Image

worlds best little brother

IPB Image

fall run

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

See Chris, I knew you could do it! I especially like the portrait of the guy on the pier. That's a fine pic. And your shot of your little bro has a nice old-timey feel to it. I agree that there's nothing that can compare with the magic of watching an image appear in the developer, but before we get all misty-eyed, I also remember how tough it was to fine-tune a print, and then finding out the next day that the print wasn't quite right after all once it had dried down, and having to start all over again. (AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!) That part I don't miss. The B&W that's being done these days with digital capture or scanned film is good enough that some of the best photographers in the world have sold their traditional darkroom stuff and gone over to inkjet printing. When I get my new system set up this winter, I intend to do the same. As far as photography goes, we're living in the good old days right now. And besides, Photoshop doesn't stink. BTW - check put the artsy photo magazines at Borders or Barnes & Noble ("Focus" is a good one) if you want to see what's being done with B&W these days - some of the new stuff is too good for words.

Got thrown out of the house by my wife yesterday. (not the first time that's happened LOL) She thinks I haven't been shooting enough lately, so to keep peace in the family. I headed out, even though the light was pretty flat. I found this little waterfall just off the road. The picture's nothing special, but the first time we get a little snow, that's the first place I'm gonna go - I think there might be a real gem there with a dusting of white.

IPB Image

This boardwalk is part of a trail in the Bashakill Wildlife Management Area in Orange County, NY. I'm going back this afternoon with my 6X7, as I really want this one on film.

IPB Image

Been looking at some spectacular Japanese-style gravure prints lately done by a guy named Peter Miller. (I think) Since I really don't want to spend thousands on a press and spend a few years learning how to make plates, I've been fooling around in Photoshop with textures, etc. This is a view of the Delaware River Valley looking out toward Pennsylvania and New Jersey from a rest stop on I84.

IPB Image

Thanks guys - I was hoping for a little snow yesterday, but all we got was a tease - we ran into some heavy squalls up in the Catskills while we were house-hunting, but it was over pretty quickly and I didn't get a chance to do any shooting. Not to worry - in this neck of the woods, it won't be long in coming.

we got hit with over a foot of beautifull snow this week. but one of my daughters barrowed my camera, so I may never see it again :help: ;)

Chris, I think you're in trouble - your only hope may be to buy her a new camera and trade it for yours. My wife once let her brother borrow her Nikon for a trip to Africa, and not only did he wind up staying a year, he actually bummed his way across the continent. (From Kenya to Congo-Brazzaville) You can imagine the shape the Nikon was in by the time he got back. (Which he was extremely lucky to do) Fortunately, we knew a good camera repairman and he was able to fix it.