Fly Tying
Redwings1

Never has anything sucked so bad

I though it smelled a little moist as I came down the stairs this morning...boy was I right. We had a really violent storm come through yesterday that dumped quite a bit of water on us and at times hail. Evidently the storm collapsed the earthen retaining wall around the window for my tying room, which proceeded to force the water right to the window, in to the room, and filter right down through the file cabinets full of materials conveniently located under the window. I am trying to dry everything out now, but man did a lot of stuff get damaged :crying:

that sucks, if you lose everything I will send you some materials to help soften the blow :headbang: :headbang:

Got lucky I think... It looks like the bulk of what got wet was synthetics that should dry out quick. It did also get to six necks plucked and separated by size, but those can be replaced relatively painlessly. Looks like the bulk of the goods avoided serious damage. Should have everything cleaned up and drying down here within the next hour so I can get the vise back up and tie some tonight.

Mike....try rinsing the hackle off(if the water was muddy)and then placing it in the bottom of a collander and blow drying it...I'm not sure if it will make the hackle brittle but it's worth a try and better than writing off those necks....sorry about the mishap.

John

I appreciate the offers guys; that is one of the things that separates this forum from th others IMO. I think I should be all set though. I was able to salvage most of the stuff and am in the process of washing and drying he feathers, so the actual loss may be very little as long as mold does not set in.

That does suck :( Glad it wasn't real super bad though. Like the others said, if you need anything I'll be happy to help you out.

I've never heard of materials that could supply their own water supply. Might want to get some of those myself to use during mid-august when the water is low:D

Do you have a hair dryer for the big feathers Mike? It shouldn't mold unless it gets bagged or covered before dry (probably already know that). Some coyote skins and a metz neck I died took a while to dry for me and I was worried about mold. I think the vinegar in the dye bath might have prevented mold. If you get worried about anything, you might heat some water with a splash of vinegar and soak them for a minute.