Fly Tying

More Selective Coloring

Here is another piece that I just finished and this one took several hours to complete. It was a lot of work but I am happy with the outcome. Soon one wall in our living room will be decorated in this style of photos but I got alot of work ahead of me to get it done.

IPB Image

Mike,

It is actually an easy process. In photoshop I make two layers; the color pic is the background layer then I add a desaturated layer on top of that. Using a variety of brushes I erase the b & w layer exposing the real colors underneath. The hard/tedious part is all the edges. I normally go around all of the edges pixel by pixel to make sure I get all of the color out of the object while keeping everything else b & w.

Very cool. You should try doing a desat layer mask. That way you can paint straight black and white (there or gone) on the layer mask which would give you a little more control and maybe allow you to do them a little faster but with the same outcome. :dunno:

Mike, that certainly would work and it would give you more control by being able to add/subtract to the coloring. In the end I would still have to trace all of the outter edges but it may give a slight advantage of being able to correct mistakes. I might give it a shot! :headbang:

Cool photo, really pops with vibrance. Have you tried the Magnetic Wand tool, I find it does a pretty good job finding defined edges. Sometimes selecting a one pixel Expand Radius and then selecting Inverse, then erase, helps take out any color-cast halo effect.

Here is one I finished up tonight, much easier than the last one. I did try the layer mask method and it did work well. It wasn't much faster but it was easier for correcting mistakes instead of having to "undo" everything to get back to that point.

IPB Image