Fly Tying
Rkayser

Mid-November smallmouth?

Hey all- I'm going to be backpacking close to an stream/creek in the middle of Missouri during the second weekend of November. It is strewn with a lot of boulders (about 1ft diameter) and a little gravel over bedrock, up to 10' deep. :headbang:

Unfortunately, I do not have a fly-rod that will fit in my backpack, and I would barely have enough room behind me for a roll cast, so no flies. <_< So, what lures should I take to catch and release a few fish on a 5' ultra-light spinning outfit? Smallmouth are the target, but I would also like to catch smaller stuff, like rock bass and green sunnies. 1/60 ounce homemade jigs, or small crawdad and minnow crankbaits? I would like to stay away from soft-plastics (including GULP!), and I dont want to/wont be able to get and use live bait. Makes it a little more challenging, and keeps the GULP! smell :sick: out of my pack and off of me.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

You could use in line spinners with flies you tie instead of bare hooks, like a Mepps, wet flies, streamers or nymphs. attached to the end of the spinner or with a leader. Crushed barbs you can release them all easily

With the ultralight gear you should be able to cast the heavier flies like clousers and craw patterns with lead eyes fairly well. A casting bubble or a small round of tapered piece of hardwood with screw in eyes would also work and allow you to cast any fly you would like.

A box of flies, casting bubbles/aides, a couple spools of leader and a few spinners would be a lot lighter to backpack with.

Mepps size 0 or 1 spin flies would be my choice. a couple silver blades, a couple gold blades and the derssed hooks in greens, whites, browns, and blacks.

Ive never really had much luck with spinners (except for trout stocked in lakes), but I'm willing to try it if it will catch me fish. I really wasn't thinking of fast presentations, but i guess the water will still be warm enough for it. With 4# line, I'm not that secure throwing 3" Rapalas @ $5 each, and I'm not sure if the rod will take 1/8 ounce anything. I mainly fish for crappie, and I hardly ever use anything larger than 1/32 (all the way down to 1/120). But, smallmouth are a different fish, and you guys seem to know more about it than me. I'm trying to stay away from flies, because I'll end up carrying 10 pounds of them if I even consider taking 1.

Now, whats YOUR favorite way to fish that stuff this time of year.

Rob

i think its like the f5 oriniginal floating rapala in the shiner color scheme. ive yet to find a fish i cant catch on that thing and ive busted one of the hooks pulling it out of so many fish mouths.

I think you need to stop and consider the conditions under which you'll be fishing. Mid November, even in Missouri, is cold. The fish will be lethargic. Crayfish will be into aestivation and, generally, unavailable. There are two techniques that I recommend, depending on the weather when you get there. Neither takes up much room and both are very flexible.

1) Float-n-Fly This is the "go to" technique for this time of the year. 1/80 to 1/8 oz jigs tied with craft fur. Try gray over white, blue over gray, and brown over white for colors. Use pencil style bobbers and put enough splitshot so the float barely stands tall, that way when a fish lifts on the jig the float will flop onto its side. You may want to do a google search for float and fly techniques. Its pretty common and VERY effective on winter smallmouth and panfish. Remember with F-n-F to vary depth. You don't necessarily want to be fishing just off the bottom. I've had plenty of days when fishing the jig 4' deep in an 8' pool was the right way to go. The fish will rise for this presentation. Also remember, minimal action. This is a dead-drift technique with occassional twitches. To get the right jigs I suggest you contact Matt Frondorf at Buckeye Baits. There is a link from Fly Fish Ohio and an article about Matt, too.

2) Buzzbait Yes, a buzzbait. When the sun is shining and the water is a bit warm try fishing a 1/16 or 1/8 oz buzzbait through the shallows. This technique is effective in Ohio right up unit December. Again, Matt makes the right size baits. You want small, well balanced offerings that kick up the right noise at a moderate retrieve.

Between the two of these you WILL be able to get into fish in the water you describe. Good luck and post some pics when you get back.

Joe C.

Just a few notes on Mepps spinners to help you out. In my pre-fly fishing days, I did a lot of spinner fishing for bass and northern pike in Wisconsin. A few things I have found from those times.

Mepps Aglia 0 and 1 will slaughter smallies in a river. The best combination for me has always been a gold blade with a black/brown and red centered bucktail. Presentation for these does not have to be fast. My goal was to work it as slow as possible without hanging up, and whenever there were abrupt depth changes, to stop reeling and let it fall on its own for a few seconds. Also, if you are not having any luck, stop casting downstream and pulling the bait upstream, instead, cast upstream and pull the bait downstream. You would be surpised at how effective it can be.

I have never fished in Missouri, but these are things that worked exceptionally well for me, I have landed many smallies with these little spinners, and in my book, you cannot go wrong if the fly is not an option.

Good luck with your trip.

-R

I just did a day trip to a western AR stream yesterday (Oct 30). I used mostly streamers, and I had one good crayfish imitation that caught a couple fish before I lost it. I found that the for the most part the larger and brighter streamers worked best. I plan to go back next week and fish another stretch of water. Post a report when you get back.

Cornmuse- I am very familiar with a float n fly technique- I tie 1/32-1/120 jigs (chenille and marabou) for crappie and bluegill around my house. Fish not biting? Go smaller and lighter (chartruese for Oct, white w/ red head for november-march). I use SMALL pencil floats and jigs light enough so that the float lays flat on the water, and then lifts off the water when a fish bites. Never thought of doing this for smallmouth.

I might have some buzzbaits that won't break 4# test, but will beetle spins work also?

I just thought of something- sharp treble hooks in the wilderness might not be the best idea. What if someone gets hooked? So this rules out the rapalas. I know they work, but they might be a little too dangerous.

Rob

I didn't get to go this weekend. Between work, rain, and a need for NHS service hours, i was swamped. I still might get out to an ozark stream before they freeze over, but im not sure with the dropping temps.

Rob