Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blackotter

Copper johns

I was wondering what colors people have done well with using Copper Johns?

I've had great success with the natural copper and red, but there are so many colors of wire out now, what works for other people?

RED :headbang: I have actually tried some other colors. Chartruse (sp) is ok. In most of the streams around here I could get by with a red copper john and yellow stimulator. I tie these a couple dozen at a time. I have seen some pretty cool ideas using more than one color. Another idea that I would like to try is black or brown for stone flies. Red though is hard to beat IMO.

Red works well here in western MT. All the earthtones have their place (basicly match the colors of the streambed of course) but we have to watch getting too flashy for picky trout or our nymphs become a whitefish flies.

Kelly green is tough to beat at times around here (WI). Also running 2 different colors of wire, say green and copper or red and chartruese sometimes can be the ticket. Hot pink and black is a winner too!

red, blue, purple all work here in east idaho.

try mixing two or three colors together i have been doing that for awhile now and it works great.

green&purple, blue&gre :dunno: en, red&blue etc

red, blue, purple all work here in east idaho.

try mixing two or three colors together i have been doing that for awhile now and it works great.

green&purple, blue&gre :dunno: en, red&blue etc

Around here, yellow+black is pretty deadly.

But last year, I tried olive + brown and that didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would.

First off this is a great forum and I'd just like to say hello to everyone. I read an article by John Barr that one of his favorite colors is blue. Odd choice I think but he did create the thing. He also mentioned silver because it resembled small minnows. Myself, I have tied them in Black, Copper, Green, Gold and Red. With most of my success coming from the Red and Copper colors. I am surprised that they don't seem to work as well as I had hoped. I usually do much better with olive and natural hare's ears. Maybe it's just me, but I like the old stand by better. Although Copper John's always have a place in my fly box.

I tend to use the CJs on faster water where i need a little more weight to get them down to the fish. I tie mine pretty heavy with a tungsten bead, lead wire and the copper wire.

For slower streams i will usually go with a brassie or a pheasant tail.