Fly Tying
hctim89

Steelhead Troubles

Hey, Im a Junior in highschool and picked up flyfishing about 2 years ago. I tought it would be fun to step outside of my box and give the baitcaster and spinning set ups a break. I have found steelhead are impossible to catch for me no matter what I can never catch 1 i had two hook ups in 2 seasons not very good. Any tips or ideas on patterns, techniques, or any thing would be helpful. Ohh ye also i fish the rocky river a tributary off Lake Erie close to cleveland ohio.

Percistance is the key to steelhead fishing.

For flies-

Eggs (glo bugs)

Black stoneflys

Green caddis

Hex nymphs

You can use an "indi" rig (indicator and floating line) or a C&D rig (chuck & duck). I prefer indi rigs and use about a 9ft leader with the indicator set for the water depth and a couple tiny bb shot about 20" up from the fly.

Right now eggs are the best bet as they are still feeding on lose salmon spawn drifting ion the current. Once the dead of winter gets here then nymphs will be the main fly.This time of year the steelhead will be in the darker holes and runs below gravel sections holding for the winter so focus on that water. Come spring they will start to move closer to the gravel in preperation of the spawn.

Just stick with it, sometime they can be hard to find but once you do then you will be hooked for sure.

Steve

hey man, dont get too down on yourself, I have been fishing for steel for 3 years and have had about the same luck as you. This year so far, I have caught more than the last 3 combined. I fish the Rocky River alot, I live in Medina, OH.

A big part of it is learning the right places to fish. If you can fish with some more experinced guys, it will help alot.

For a good list of flies go to http://www.steelheadbasics.com he has alot of good patterns on there.

Just keep at it, and dont be afraid to ask the other guys on the river, usually they will help a newbie out, and offer at least some advice. If you are fishing in an area with some other guys, and noone is catching anything, dont feel bad about not getting any. IF you are the only one not getting anything, start asking questions. but know that you are probably in the right area, since there must be fish there.

Joe

I feel your pain!! lol....the first hook up I had was on accident!!! I was retrieving my fly and bam...fish on!! (Maybe I shouldn't have told that :huh: )They don't really hit hard so you have to really feel for them. I found that was my problem...as soon as you "feel" them set the hook!!! I look at it this way...if I can set the hook and bring up leaves from the river then I have my "feelers" on. It's just getting used to the sensitvity. Then worry about your presentation, keep your line tight!! Another big problem of mine :dunno: I'm just a n00b though. I never had any luck with indicators...but try it! It might work for you!!

Have you hit the library yet? John Nagy's steelhead books cover a lot of different tactics for great lakes streams and would a good one to start with. Not too expensive if you want to buy it.

Think trout!! That's all they are....big trout. The same type of presentations will work. The steelies may hold slightly different but if you cover the water you will find them.

Don't forget about streamers!! You won't mistake a strike for anything else. Zonkers, matuka's, and muddlers are hot every year no matter where you live.

Steelhead will move to your flies. Fishing the bottom is not always the best method, but it is very effective when the water temp goes into the low 40's.

Keep trying, that's the only way you get better. There is a definate learning curve with steelhead fishing.

You'll be a pro in a few seasons, just put your time in.

Good Luck,

Chip