Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nor-viser

Evil Eye?

Has anyone ever heard of a fly for steelhead called an evil eye? A client has asked me about tying them this fly. I have never heard of this fly personally an the client is wanting it on heresay. Can any one shed light on this matter?

Thanks in advance for any info.

There is a pattern that has a large red....possibly bead with an eye on it and a wing....possibly tail as well. I've seen pictures of it, I may have one. I'll look about. :)

....Okay all I can find is a fly called the "Black Optic." It is an older steelhead pattern and I can't find a reference on-line for you. It probably isn't the right fly but thought it sort of bore a resemblence to something one could call "The Evil Eye." Jim Pray who created it, used a 1/4" split brass bead for the head, and black bucktail for the wing, oval gold tinsel for the body and a yellow eye with black centre. Again it probably isn't what you are looking for, but it may be similiar....Kerry :)

An "Evil Eye" is a type of spoon. I couldn't find a picture of it, nor a current manufacturer, but they are popular for salmon fishing....

Good Day,

The spoons of this type that i have seen have the general shape of a dare devil. The color combo I have predominatley seen is a base of chartruse with 4-6 bright cerise dots along the sides (2-3 per side) and then a large red stick on eye below the point of the spoon.

Steelie

i have personally used them out on the big lake for salmon they are a spoon usually gold or silver with 1 to 3 beads in the center of it that reflect the light to attract fish pictures

Here's a little more info that I got about this so called fly:

It was being used for steelheading in Ontario (Meaford, Thornbury). It was being used on a noodle rod and float reel